Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with i5 processor and graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2012 6:08:07 PM

I am going to be buying a desktop pretty soon. Haven't bought one in years, so I've been researching lots of info about processors, graphics cards, etc. I am not looking for a super high-end gaming computer, but I would like to be able to play most modern games. I would also like to stay under $750 or so.

In my research, I have found that there are a few kinds of processors. The main ones that I see are i3, i5, i7 and AMD. From what I can tell, i5 seems the best fit for what I am planning to do. However, everyone always tells me that the computers that run i5 have awful graphics cards built into them, because Intel isn't that good at making integrated graphics cards.

Is this true? Should I change my search from an i5 to an i7? What's the deal with AMD? Should I just buy the graphics card seperate from the computer and put it in the motherboard?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 11:28:46 PM

Kinda new here said:
I am going to be buying a desktop pretty soon. Haven't bought one in years, so I've been researching lots of info about processors, graphics cards, etc. I am not looking for a super high-end gaming computer, but I would like to be able to play most modern games. I would also like to stay under $750 or so.

In my research, I have found that there are a few kinds of processors. The main ones that I see are i3, i5, i7 and AMD. From what I can tell, i5 seems the best fit for what I am planning to do. However, everyone always tells me that the computers that run i5 have awful graphics cards built into them, because Intel isn't that good at making integrated graphics cards.

Is this true? Should I change my search from an i5 to an i7? What's the deal with AMD? Should I just buy the graphics card seperate from the computer and put it in the motherboard?

Hi, first of all, if you want to have a decent gaming experience STAY AWAY from integrated graphics, that being said yeah get a graphics card, when gaming, its better spend more on the gpu than the cpu, the i5 will do fine on any game, one question, are you getting a pre-built pc or are you going to build it yourself? if you are getting a pre-built one, can you post the link of which one you got in mind? to check what graphic cards would be good for it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 12:17:11 AM

Kinda new here said:

If you are going gaming you need a dedicated GPU not any integrated crap so that does not matter get the I5 3570K that is the best I5 processer and can fit into a 750 budget

And a GTX 650ti or somthing like that

This is a good build for 750$ (No OS or Monitor)
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

If you want one with an OS than just tell me
m
l
December 18, 2012 12:05:03 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Some more info:

I am not really looking to build a computer, short of plugging in a graphics card to the motherboard. As for ones I am looking at, I haven't really decided yet. Mostly have been browsing Staples, Best Buy, Amazon, Fry's Hardware, etc.

From what the people have told me, it seems like the i5's only come with integrated graphics, and not with a dedicated graphics card. Is this true? And if so, what does this mean for my searches?
m
l
!