Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My monitor wont turn on.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 16, 2012 6:25:48 PM

I just got a new Gigabyte 660 GTX OC. I have it plugged into my psu and my mobo, but when I plug it into my desktop my screen does not turn on. I have no dvi cables, but I used a vga-dvi cable to plug it into my monitor. I can use my computer normally if I plug my monitor into my mobo for using the integrated graphics chip. The GPU seems to be working as the fans are spinning, but It doesn't come up as registered hardware on my computer.

More about : monitor wont turn

a c 290 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 16, 2012 6:32:13 PM

Could you post your full specs?
December 16, 2012 7:49:38 PM

Sunius said:
Could you post your full specs?


ASRock Z77 Extreme4
i5-3570k CPU
Gigabyte 660 GTX OC
8GB 1600 G.Skill Ram
750W Corsair PSU (Gold)
1TB Western Digital HDD
Gaia Xigmatek Fan
Related resources
December 16, 2012 8:01:49 PM

Did you completely clean your drivers and everything before installing that new hardware? If not you need to do that.. DriverCleaner, CCleaner etc

December 16, 2012 8:05:28 PM

bretmh said:
Did you completely clean your drivers and everything before installing that new hardware? If not you need to do that.. DriverCleaner, CCleaner etc

http://www.gaming-tech.net/sig.jpg


Well I just got this computer actually, sorry for not mentioning that. The only thing I kept was the case.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 16, 2012 8:07:34 PM

Could you list all the connectors you have connected to somewhere from your power supply unit? It could be great if you do that list while checking all of them if they are firmly connected, rather than from your mind.
December 16, 2012 8:30:53 PM

Sunius said:
Could you list all the connectors you have connected to somewhere from your power supply unit? It could be great if you do that list while checking all of them if they are firmly connected, rather than from your mind.


Okay this is from looking don't worry.

I have one 6+2 PCI-E slot filled and 3 Sata/peripheral slots filled.
The GTX 660 is connected in the PCI-E slot. They are all firmly in.

I wouldn't think that it is a problem with my PSU as the fans are working. Also the GPU is not detected in my BIOS or in my device manager.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 16, 2012 8:54:28 PM

Did you connect the two gpu power cables to the 660?
December 16, 2012 9:03:30 PM

popatim said:
Did you connect the two gpu power cables to the 660?


There is only one slot for power on the GPU. I find this odd though, because there are two in the instructions.

Here is a decent look at my card, if anyone was wanting to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdDyzgUIH6Q

Also, here is a picture of my system: http://imgur.com/cHfs0 .... Don't mind the messy cables.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 3:38:24 AM

Looks connected fine. GTX 660 only needs only connector. Are you positive that cable of yours works in other situations? If so, do you have somebody in whose PC you could try the card to see whether it's not dead?
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 4:00:01 AM

cabaton said:
I just got a new Gigabyte 660 GTX OC. I have it plugged into my psu and my mobo, but when I plug it into my desktop my screen does not turn on. I have no dvi cables, but I used a vga-dvi cable to plug it into my monitor. I can use my computer normally if I plug my monitor into my mobo for using the integrated graphics chip. The GPU seems to be working as the fans are spinning, but It doesn't come up as registered hardware on my computer.


Hi - you may have to go into BIOS & disable the integrated graphics and
enable the PCI-E graphics. You also might have to clean(remove) the
integrated grpahics drivers, then install the discrete GPU's drivers,
preferably from the makers website and not from the dvd
that came with the vid card.

Tom
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 4:07:45 AM

That won't work. It's been a few years since motherboards automatically change between integrated and PCIe graphics, and there will definitely be no option to change this in the BIOS. Furthermore, drivers aren't used until booting to windows, and he cannot even see BIOS screen, so that will not help either.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 4:13:01 AM

Sunius said:
That won't work. It's been a few years since motherboards automatically change between integrated and PCIe graphics, and there will definitely be no option to change this in the BIOS. Furthermore, drivers aren't used until booting to windows, and he cannot even see BIOS screen, so that will not help either.


Actually that's exactly what I did with my BIOS 2 month's ago when I got my
new GPU(hd7870), and it is a relatively new MOBO (Gig z77-3dh)
and it worked perfectly.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 8:40:20 AM

I really doubt you specifically DISABLED integrated graphics in BIOS. There's no such option.

And of course you got it working, but even if you didn't do that, it would have worked.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 2:08:42 PM

Sunius said:
I really doubt you specifically DISABLED integrated graphics in BIOS. There's no such option.

And of course you got it working, but even if you didn't do that, it would have worked.


Believe whatever you want, there is such an option(I just went back in and confirmed)
in the peripherals section of my 2011 BIOS for integrated graphics and it is disabled
(which I did 2 months ago), and if you care to research AMI's BIOS
from 2011 you can confirm such an option exists, instead
of running your mouth without checking the facts.
!