Sign in with
Your question

My PC won't boot while the PCI-E cable is plugged in

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2012 6:32:51 PM

As stated in the topic, my PC refuses to boot while the PCI-E cable is plugged in. When I unplug the cable, it boots just fine but since it's NOT plugged in, I can't view it on my monitor. I'm sure it starts since the hard drive light flashes like it's supposed to. I have tried plugging in the cable WHILE the PC is on but it just shuts off.

I did upgrade my Power Supply but it is still a 500 watt like my old one. So I don't think that is the issue. I had to get a new PSU because the old one simply stopped working. This one works but only if the PCI-E cable is unplugged..which is pointless since I need that cable to use the computer. The PCI-E cable is a 4-pin. Here are links for my PC specs.

My PC:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

My new power supply:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Watt-CX500...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

More about : boot pci cable plugged

a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 7:02:46 PM

there is no 4-pin PCI-E connector,there is 2 6+2 Pin PCI-E connectors,which go to the graphics card,where are you plugging in this 4 pin plug?that sounds like the 4+4 motherboard connector.

this video explains the connectors:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMBDbjFjSP0
December 16, 2012 7:08:53 PM

It has 4 pins on it and then 2 extra ones on the side of it that seem to connect to nothing. I'm plugging it into the video card. I'm sorry, I know very little about computers :/ 
Related resources
December 16, 2012 7:31:26 PM

Okay, it IS a 6+2 pin. I tried editing that but it didn't work. Anyway, does anyone know WHY my computer shuts off with the thing plugged in?
a c 540 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 7:39:23 PM

White_Fatalis_X said:
Okay, it IS a 6+2 pin. I tried editing that but it didn't work. Anyway, does anyone know WHY my computer shuts off with the thing plugged in?

A short circuit that triggers the Over Current Protection circuit would cause that.

Make sure you orient the 6-pin PCI-E power connector the proper way when you're connecting it to the graphics card.

Forcing the connector in the wrong way will cause a dead short on the +12 Volt rail.

Also what is the brand and model of your graphics card?
December 16, 2012 7:47:19 PM

ko888 said:
A short circuit that triggers the Over Current Protection circuit would cause that.

Make sure you orient the 6-pin PCI-E power connector the proper way when you're connecting it to the graphics card.

Forcing the connector in the wrong way will cause a dead short on the +12 Volt rail.

Also what is the brand and model of your graphics card?

It is an ATI Radeon HD 6750. I have plugged the connector in properly but it just refuses to start while plugged in. With the PCI-E connector UNPLUGGED, my PC turns on as it normally would. Fans on and harddrive light on. I'm just not sure why the PC won't start while the PCI-E cable is plugged in.
a c 540 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 8:07:31 PM

Maybe the old power supply damaged the graphics card's power VRM when it failed.

Have you tried using the Intel integrated graphics on the i7-2600?

Have you tried a different discrete graphics card?
December 16, 2012 8:23:12 PM

How do you use the intel integrated graphics? And I have no other graphics cards to test this with. I removed the card to see if anything is physically wrong and it seems to be intact.
a c 540 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 8:53:12 PM

White_Fatalis_X said:
How do you use the intel integrated graphics? And I have no other graphics cards to test this with. I removed the card to see if anything is physically wrong and it seems to be intact.

Remove the Radeon HD 6750 card from the PCI-E slot and connect the monitor cable to the appropriate graphics port on the motherboard's rear I/O panel. There should be a DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort on the motherboard's rear I/O panel connectors according to the specs shown on your TigerDirect.com link.

An internal short circuit won't show any visible signs so a physical examination of the discrete graphics card doesn't help.

You need to try a different known working discrete graphics card.
December 17, 2012 3:44:06 PM

The panel on the back had a sticker over the HDMI port on the motherboard that says "This port is disabled."

I removed the sticker and there is something covering the HMDI hole. Should I take that out? Because if it says it's disabled and if it's blocked up like that, would that be safe?

Okay, I've tried removing the thing blocking the HDMI port. It's like some sort of rubber that was glued into the port...so I can't remove it..
a c 540 U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 5:27:10 PM

If the sticker says that port is disabled then it really is disabled.

Use the DVI port. If you need HDMI then use a DVI to HDMI adapter.
December 18, 2012 2:15:56 AM

The extra DVI port in the back has a plastic piece covering it and screwed in that says "Do not remove" twice. I have no extra video ports..
a c 540 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:49:49 PM

Well Gateway really screwed you over because their own documentation for that specific model says it has a DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort connector.

Maybe you have a special TigerDirect edition that uses a different model of the motherboard that has those video ports left off to increase their profit margin by reducing the bill of materials. Things like this don't surprise me especially with consumer desktop PCs.

The only option you have left is to borrow a discrete graphics card for troubleshooting purposes.
December 19, 2012 2:44:07 PM

Yeah it sucks. I'm really hoping just the graphic card short circuited since I might as well buy a new one. I know of no one who has a graphics card I could use. Anyway, thank you for all the help!
!