No POST, PSU fan spins but CPU fan does not, internal speaker ticking.

dnlhl

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello,

I've been working on building a PC, and I've come up against a problem. This is the first time I've built a PC from the ground up, although I have previously upgraded pre-built PCs.

The problem is that when I try and boot, the power supply fan starts to spin, but the system does not POST. The internal speaker makes a "ticking" noise, which continues for as long as I keep the power is held on.

I currently have the motherboard sitting on the bag it came in, on top of a cardboard sheet. All I've got connected to it is the PSU, the CPU, one stick of RAM and the CPU fan. I have two identical sticks of RAM, and the same problem occurs with either one installed in any one of the slots. Since the system isn't POSTing, there is no beep when trying to boot without any RAM at all. I have re-seated the CPU, and I believe it is correctly installed.

The components are:
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Quad Core
RAM: Corsair XMS 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Corsair CX500

I started this build in December, which was when this problem first occurred. I contacted the company from whom I bought the CPU and motherboard, and returned these two components for testing. The CPU was then returned to me, and the motherboard was diagnosed as having damaged tracks, and was returned to the manufacturer for repairs before being returned to me. Although this was done, the same problem is still occurring.

I have consulted this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-13-read-posting-boot-problems
Despite trying out all of the advice in this thread, I've not had any luck. I'm at my wits end, can anyone tell me how I proceed from here?

dnlhl

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for getting back to me. I was worried that might be the solution. However, if that's what it takes for me to get a working PC, that's what I'll need to do, especially since I've already sunk the money into the other components.

Unfortunately it does seem that your motherboard may be defective. I would also attempt the self-test on the power supply that Corsair has on there website to detect if one of there PSU is defective.

http://www.corsair.com/en/support/warranty/

I have had a similar issue and it was the power supply and the motherboard. I actually found out the motherboard was bad after I found out the power supply was bad. This was such a pain.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I'm sorry I don't have much to add. Just wanted to say that I actually wouldn't leave the motherboard on top of the anti-static bag. I would be more inclined to put it directly on the cardboard. Static electricity can and will travel across the outside of the bag (not from the outsided to the product inside)

Good luck with tracking down the problem.

dnlhl

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I've just carried out the paperclip test, and the PSU passed, so I've ordered a replacement motherboard. Thank you all for the advice.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

SORRY FOR BUMPING BUT ITS IMPORTANT

Dnhll i have the same problem you've had and found your post spot on, i know its old news too you now maybe you could offer advise.

My mb goes on but i too recieve a ticking sound from mb internal speaker(but what was your reason why cpu fan wasn't working,was it a sign you either failed to install or cpu broken) that i have no idea means.Im surprised nothing on internet explains this nor wikkipedia or even manufactures.

My systems new well kinda (given the severity of situation) parts.

Did you ever work your ticking problem and if so;what was it.

TRENDING THREADS