Radeon hd 7950 runs at 850mhz not 950mhz

Helllo guys,

My new Radeon hd 7950 vapor-x got a issue.

When i play skyrim and open MSI afterburner it shows that it's running on 850mhz and sometimes 501mhz when it's factory overlcoked to 950mhz when i open amd vision control center it shows under graphical overdrive 950mhz but on skyrim or any other game it never reach it.

Anyone can help me out with this?

-redbadboy
24 answers Last reply
More about radeon 7950 runs 850mhz 950mhz
  1. Get the GPU-Z and check.......
  2. When i'm going to GPU-z it say's on the first page 950mhz. But when i'm going too sensors in gpu-z it says max is 850mhz.
  3. Is it running at its proper voltage, maybe you've accidentally changed the core voltage or something ?
  4. merandos said:
    Is it running at its proper voltage, maybe you've accidentally changed the core voltage or something ?


    nope i didn't.. ;(
  5. Then make sure you bought the OC'ed version, and take back the chip to where you bought it from if possible....
  6. Also pretty weird that i get 501mhz and than 850mhz shoudn't it just always be on 850mhz when playing a game like skyrim?
  7. merandos said:
    Then make sure you bought the OC'ed version, and take back the chip to where you bought it from if possible....


    I deffinatly bought the OC version ;-) and in amd vision it also is on 950mhz but it just don't take it when playing a game..
  8. I've checked the vapor x version from sapphire and it says that it is not oced to 950 it is just a boost clock, if it is overclocked to 950 Mhz then the boost clock would be even higher, like 980 Mhz ~ boost 1033 Mhz gtx 660 reference card, and the gigabyte one is oced to 1033 Mhz ~ boost clock is 1098 Mhz

    So is that boost clock feature maybe set to off or something ? haven't tried sapphire before actually, maybe it is something that you turn on or off, or the card doesn't use it until there is heavier load...

    So here is what to do, Skyrim won't push it for its boost clock, run 3dmark 11 and set the sensors in GPU-Z to maximum, after the benchmark test, see what is the highest Mhz is recorded on the GPU-Z......
  9. merandos said:
    I've checked the vapor x version from sapphire and it says that it is not oced to 950 it is just a boost clock, if it is overclocked to 950 Mhz then the boost clock would be even higher, like 980 Mhz ~ boost 1033 Mhz gtx 660 reference card, and the gigabyte one is oced to 1033 Mhz ~ boost clock is 1098 Mhz

    So is that boost clock feature maybe set to off or something ? haven't tried sapphire before actually, maybe it is something that you turn on or off, or the card doesn't use it until there is heavier load...

    So here is what to do, Skyrim won't push it for its boost clock, run 3dmark 11 and set the sensors in GPU-Z to maximum, after the benchmark test, see what is the highest Mhz is recorded on the GPU-Z......


    The vapor-x edition have a turn on and off, i got it turned on and than it takes 950mhz but i just doesn't reach that high in skyrim only 850 like i said ;(. But im going to try 3d mark 11 i'll let u know.
  10. redbadboy said:
    The vapor-x edition have a turn on and off, i got it turned on and than it takes 950mhz but i just doesn't reach that high in skyrim only 850 like i said ;(. But im going to try 3d mark 11 i'll let u know.

    As long as it is a boost feature, then you will have to push the card to its limits in order to get the boost, OC feature gives you a higher standard clock even if you are not pushing the card to its limits, that's probably why you are not seeing 950Mhz on Skyrim, as i told you Skyrim won't let the card use the boost as i believe, 3dMark 11 will surely do and am pretty sure it will record a 950Mhz on the GPU-Z.......
  11. By the way when i play hitman absolution i also dont get past the 850mhz.. and i nearly have 3d mark installed ;-)
  12. Afther running 3d mark, it still isn't passing 850mhz..
  13. Increase the power limits in overdrive or catalyst (can't remember) to 115%.
    You might be hitting TDP constraints.
    Check your temps too, just in case it is throttling.
  14. ilikemacandpc said:
    Increase the power limits in overdrive or catalyst (can't remember) to 115%.
    You might be hitting TDP constraints.
    Check your temps too, just in case it is throttling.


    Now i'm getting 950mhz ;-). Only it's pretty weird that i have to adjust it manually because it's a factory overclocked GPU so shoudn't it automaticly gets 950mhz ?
  15. yeah. That is weird. It works now; that's what matters.
  16. redbadboy said:
    Now i'm getting 950mhz ;-). Only it's pretty weird that i have to adjust it manually because it's a factory overclocked GPU so shoudn't it automaticly gets 950mhz ?


    Still don't believe that there is a difference between OC'ed and boost feature ? :) that's why it doesn't hit 950Mhz automatically, it should have hit 950Mhz underload automatically since the boost feature is on though,,,,anyway as ilik said what matters now that it is working....
  17. merandos said:
    Still don't believe that there is a difference between OC'ed and boost feature ? :) that's why it doesn't hit 950Mhz automatically, it should have hit 950Mhz underload automatically since the boost feature is on though,,,,anyway as ilik said what matters now that it is working....


    My last questions is.... when i put my power limits to 115% isn't that bad for my GPU? or doens't it matther.. thanks for the answer ;-)
  18. redbadboy said:
    My last questions is.... when i put my power limits to 115% isn't that bad for my GPU? or doens't it matther.. thanks for the answer ;-)

    Not it is okay, it will just raise the power target alil bit, so you can achieve the 950Mhz at whatever load, just monitor your temps under load....
  19. Im having exacly same issue with my R9 280 non X version. (base clock 940Mhz)
    But sometimes it gets stuck between 501 and 850Mhz.. When this happens i am unable to change clocks.. Even if i change max clock to 749 or any other the GPU will be still switching between these two frequences..
    Min 501Mhz
    Max 850Mhz
    NORMAL (functioning)
    Min 300Mhz
    Max 940Mhz

    Id be glad if someone will try to help me any way possible..
    I tryied some other drivers but it didnt helped me..
  20. BrianSGT said:
    Im having exacly same issue with my R9 280 non X version. (base clock 940Mhz)
    But sometimes it gets stuck between 501 and 850Mhz.. When this happens i am unable to change clocks.. Even if i change max clock to 749 or any other the GPU will be still switching between these two frequences..
    Min 501Mhz
    Max 850Mhz
    NORMAL (functioning)
    Min 300Mhz
    Max 940Mhz

    Id be glad if someone will try to help me any way possible..
    I tryied some other drivers but it didnt helped me..


    Increase the power limit, in catalyst control center.
  21. I have been having this same issue with my 1 of my 280x's.

    Main card(GPU1) in Afterburner and GPU-z were giving me the 850Mhz instead of the cards set speed of 1050MHz.
    I did the power bump by 20%, and in some instances I am still only running at 850.
    I read on another forum that a user noticed his browser was open, even more specifically a youtube tab. He closed it, and bam he was hitting his correct speeds.

    This is great for games other than Battlefield. Because it seems to be any tab open requiring Flash, then it was back to 850MHz.

    So what is this, a driver issue? A Windows issue, or Chome/IE?

    I have R9 280x's from Club3d in Xfire.

    My second card(GPU2) will run at the correct speed. But GPU1 will not with a browser open with flash running on a page.


    Anyone else want to run this situation and see if you get same results?
  22. Justin Rahme said:
    I have been having this same issue with my 1 of my 280x's.

    Main card(GPU1) in Afterburner and GPU-z were giving me the 850Mhz instead of the cards set speed of 1050MHz.
    I did the power bump by 20%, and in some instances I am still only running at 850.
    I read on another forum that a user noticed his browser was open, even more specifically a youtube tab. He closed it, and bam he was hitting his correct speeds.

    This is great for games other than Battlefield. Because it seems to be any tab open requiring Flash, then it was back to 850MHz.

    So what is this, a driver issue? A Windows issue, or Chome/IE?

    I have R9 280x's from Club3d in Xfire.

    My second card(GPU2) will run at the correct speed. But GPU1 will not with a browser open with flash running on a page.


    Anyone else want to run this situation and see if you get same results?


    I'm running into the same issue with my Sapphire HD 7950 w/Boost. It's hardware acceleration that's causing the issue. After reading your post (thanks BTW!), I immediately knew that's what it was. I went to Chrome's chrome://flags page and turned off hardware-accelerated decoding and the problem went away. Now I can have YT open without my card losing its OC. :D

    Here's a quote from auxy over at ##hardware @ Freenode.net:
    [17:21:24] <auxy> well
    [17:21:27] <auxy> it's not a "bug" per se
    [17:21:47] <auxy> it's just an artifact of the way GPU acceleration works
    [17:21:55] <auxy> GPUs are really, really bad at context switching
    [17:22:02] <auxy> although that's improving rapidly with newer generations of hardware
    [17:22:13] <auxy> basically
    [17:22:17] <auxy> "GPUs aren't CPUs"
    [17:22:41] <auxy> having them do more than one thing at a time is problematic under old programming models
    [17:25:43] <auxy> in general using a single GPU simultaneously for 3D acceleration for anything besides the primary application you want 3D accelerated (e.g. whatever game you are playing) is problematic
    [17:27:58] <auxy> the funny thing is
    [17:28:01] <auxy> if you have a fast desktop CPU
    [17:28:12] <auxy> you are very likely to actually have a BETTER performing browser by disabling GPU acceleration
    [17:28:26] <auxy> because your CPU has dramatically lower latency to do ANYTHING than your GPU does

    Here's another quote, this one from XLV that goes a bit further in explaining why this might be happening:
    [17:45:27] <XLV> the gpu accelerates or decelerates based on active app
    [17:46:02] <XLV> and yt acceleration doesnt need the whole gpu chip enabled
    [17:46:15] <XLV> only a part of the video accelerator
    [17:46:47] <XLV> which means that modern cards can accelerate yt with their clocks at idleing values
    [17:46:55] <XLV> ['active app' means] which app is in the foreground

    [17:59:15] <XLV> depends on how the video acceleration is implemented

    [18:17:27] <XLV> all kinds of variables get in.. implementation of that html 5 video wrapper in YT, implementation of the video accelerating of that specific video codec in the gpu drivers etc etc
  23. There is one other program that is causing this issue. 3dMark. I run the demo version through steam, and as soon as it loads I watch my video cards OC go away. I have my 2x 280x's overclocked slightly and 3dmark just disables it and then wont run any higher than 850mhz. Although the results page does show the overclocked specs, while the test is running AfterBurner shows it at 850.
  24. Justin Rahme said:
    There is one other program that is causing this issue. 3dMark. I run the demo version through steam, and as soon as it loads I watch my video cards OC go away. I have my 2x 280x's overclocked slightly and 3dmark just disables it and then wont run any higher than 850mhz. Although the results page does show the overclocked specs, while the test is running AfterBurner shows it at 850.


    I don't know how to hell you there bud, sorry. But anyway, I managed to solve my problem by just enabling the flag that disabled hardware-accelerated decoding in Chrome. I'm sure if you use Firefox you could do the same thing. In Chrome though you just go to chrome://flags and find #disable-accelerated-video-decode and turn that on. As I check, Chrome decided to disable that flag for some reason so technically hardware-accelerated decoding is on right now, but strangely enough I'm not having the no-OC issue. This is something someone else on ##hardware said happened to them, where Chrome would auto-disable the #disable-accelerated-video-decode flag, so I'm not too surprised it happened to me. Maybe the other setting I changed took care of it, who knows. Weird. Just in case someone's trying this, in addition to turning on the #disable-accelerated-video-decode flag, change this option to 'Disable':
    #enable-gpu-rasterization

    Cheers!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon HD Skyrim Graphics