Sign in with
Your question

Macbook pro vs Workstation Lappy

January 31, 2013 8:12:11 PM

Hello, Im a animation student and am trying to decide on a laptop. I'll need it to run these following programs

Blender, Sai, Adobe programs, Mudbox, Maya, Corel, Sculptress/ Z Brush, manga studio, sketchbook etc

I'm trying to decide between getting an Macbook pro 15 inch with the retina display. Or a High performance workstation laptop for the money. I like the durability and performance of the macbooks and obviously the display. But for the money I spend on a macbook could I get a workstation better suited to what I need? I also need to future proof a bit since I won't be able to upgrade for a while. I'm looking for a laptop specifically so I know this limits my options slightly.

This is the mac I'm looking atHardware

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)
Accessory Kit
Software
iLife '11
OS X Mountain Lion

Unfortunantly I don't know very much of what I need technically speaking and I don't want to get a mac because all my friends who know nothing about computers say I should. I want a machine that performs to my needs that is durable and all for around $1000-3000. If thats a mac thats great I just want to make an educated decsion.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.
Thanks for any help ya'll can offer!
!