Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New PC Build (revised)

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 31, 2013 8:23:34 PM

Hello Again,

Well since I was last on I have changed things like the cpu, motherboard, and psu. and also developed somewhat of a budget.($1500-$1700) these are now the specs of my build. please leave constructive criticism and comments as well as suggested improvements to performance and reliability of the products price is not a major concern so please keep those comparisons to a minimum thank you:)  p.s. also please suggest psu(power plentiful for future sli ) and a better heatsink (quieter not to much more expensive i.e. under $100) thank you:) 


CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.60 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.86 @ Newegg)

Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($206.99 @ Adorama)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive($89.99 @Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($162.24 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($48.99 @ Mac Mall)

Total: $1468.84

More about : build revised

January 31, 2013 10:01:24 PM

since the price has shuffled around (i believe i helped you before), i will change some components
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AJnt


pcpartpicker is messed right now so some components will be listed seperately

ram. 16gb because its cheap and might as well get more ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76779&promoid=1292

motherboard can be priced matched for free shipping
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71114

mice. id personally get the black edition since it has a much better finish but the regular is cheaper
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=46088&promoid=1398

in my build i have

-a much better SSD for cheaper
-if you would like 2tb, go ahead
-more ram. faster ram is useless
-a better case. id say the best for the money.
-you dont need full windows
-way better keyboard
-i assume you can actually go to a brick and mortar microcenter to get the i7, otherwise get a i5
January 31, 2013 10:55:09 PM

ok #1 what exactly makes the SSD better because I have heard the crucial is very dependable from a very trusted source I understand its cheaper but what makes it cheaper and what makes it better?
#2 What makes it a Better case is that fact or opinion
#3 I do need full windows because work does need to be done on this computer as well i.e. [windows home and student]
#4 why not a i7 if I can afford?
I am at a point in my life where I can afford to start a new hobby and money is not an object really the "budget" is for my wife and daughters benefit but really i am spoiling myself becuz i never do.....basically im trying to get the best bang for my buck but im not gonna loose my mind if I fynd a ssd for 40 bux cheaper after I buy im not pinching pennys in a nutshell im askin if my build will handle games lyk bf3,crysis 3, eve, dust514 and nxt gen games for at least a year, year and a half........ at max settings b4 I upgrade to adding another gpu or second display but lyk I said that is a way down the road .....i am an average to above average gamer and making a jump to pc's i just wnna make sure that the build i have is not hindering me in anyway and is dependable mainly why i am staying away from amd asus asrock from everything i heard they are good but gigabyte is somewhat more dependable but that just myte be opinion. Thank you for your advice
Related resources
January 31, 2013 11:03:49 PM

p.s. nope second post and u didn't comment on first so i have never received ur help but thank you again
January 31, 2013 11:04:55 PM

yes crucial is very reliable and trustable, but so is plextor. they originally made dvd burners but they moved to SSDs. both of the SSDs use marvel controllers (which are what makes it reliable overall) but the plextor uses a newer and faster version.

its both opinion and fact. it has more silence, more cabling room (space between side panel and motherboard tray wise), and is cheaper. some people like flashy cases, but i dont like them.

what are the programs that you have that are specifically 32 bit? if there are none, get regular OEM windows. its cheaper because you only pay for the windows edition you need (32 bit or 64bit) all new programs are 64bit. also note you cannot use more than 4gb of ram on a 32 bit windows

because it wouldnt benefit gaming performance.

its your money. im just saying that there are better stuff for cheaper. i can guarantee it wont max out bf4 with a single gtx 670. nothing currently will. you cannot future proof. it always does not work. i can tell you it will still perform well, but no gurarantees it will max out

asus is a better company overall in the higher end market (slightly above the general consumer). gigabyte is nice but right now, the Lk board is 30 bucks cheaper, so id get that instead. it has just enough features that you need. if the gigabyte was the same price, i would have picked that up instead, but it isnt

January 31, 2013 11:11:03 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AK8q if you just game you don't need an i7 since you are an"an average to above average gamer"also tyhe 7950 will be able to do just about anything you ask it to do(except crysis 3 at max settings) but only a 690 can do that at playable fps
January 31, 2013 11:12:19 PM

with some new drivers, crysis 3 should be much faster than it is now
January 31, 2013 11:14:44 PM

TheBigTroll said:
with some new drivers, crysis 3 should be much faster than it is now

true it is just a beta.did you play planetside 2 in early beta,a 670 could only go to medium settings at 1080p just to get above 40 fps
January 31, 2013 11:20:52 PM

Microcenter cpu prices are only good for in store pickup, but they also offer great bundle prices with mobo. If they mail order at those prices I'm sure all the other dealers would be up in arms.
January 31, 2013 11:29:16 PM

nah. dont play many betas. the one i tried was bf3 beta. kept falling under the map (frostbite 2 engine at its best) and destroying everyone
January 31, 2013 11:31:10 PM

Heat Sink:

$75 budget: 1) Phanteks 2) Thermalright Silver Arrow 3) Noc DH-14
Why.....5 year warranty on the phanteks, waaaay better aesthetics, and slightly better thermally in most tests
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

$50 budget: 1) Hyper 612 PWM 2) Scythe Mugen 3
loses 5C to the ones above
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

$25 Budget - Hyper 212 (your original pick)

CPU:

Take the i-7 if ya fgoing ti eb doing CAD, video editing, huge databases or anything else that use hyperthreading....for office apps and gaming the i5 will do just as well.

MoBo:

I don't see a $1500 build w/o a possible SLI / CF upgrade

$120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD:

M4 is a Tier 3 ....cant see $207 for Tier 3 when Tier 1 are less money

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-...

Tier 1
240 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND (Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G, Corsair Force GS)
Samsung 840 250 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB
Plextor M3 Pro 128 GB/256 GB
OCZ Vertex 4 512/256 GB
OCZ Vector 512/256 GB
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB/256 GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD:

Seagate Bararcuda XT - great drive
Seagate Bararcuda - not so much

Case:

Corsair 500R at sick $80 price in white
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$120 - $20 MIR - $20 off w/ promo code 72SALE43, ends 1/31

I'd put a HX750 in there to provide adequate power to twin overclocked GFX cards....if the budget hits too hard, then the Tx750
January 31, 2013 11:32:31 PM

id always get a d14 over a silver arrow. better fan mountings and will support a much larger variety of ram (dominator without heat fins)
January 31, 2013 11:48:55 PM

Get the i5 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get this cooler, it's a good one, not that much expensive : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get cheaper ram : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get the MSI PE 660 ti : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a psu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get the windows 7 home premium 64 bits, it's all you're going to need.
The rest of the stuff keep it, if you really need the bluray drive, if not get a dvd drive.
February 1, 2013 2:15:58 AM

devilofdeaths said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AK8q if you just game you don't need an i7 since you are an"an average to above average gamer"also tyhe 7950 will be able to do just about anything you ask it to do(except crysis 3 at max settings) but only a 690 can do that at playable fps



again i am not just gaming on this computer it needs to be able to do work too...video editing/ music production so sticking with the i7 to many good reviews to decide otherwise and i will look into the video card thank you
February 1, 2013 2:39:49 AM

TheBigTroll said:
yes crucial is very reliable and trustable, but so is plextor. they originally made dvd burners but they moved to SSDs. both of the SSDs use marvel controllers (which are what makes it reliable overall) but the plextor uses a newer and faster version.

its both opinion and fact. it has more silence, more cabling room (space between side panel and motherboard tray wise), and is cheaper. some people like flashy cases, but i dont like them.

what are the programs that you have that are specifically 32 bit? if there are none, get regular OEM windows. its cheaper because you only pay for the windows edition you need (32 bit or 64bit) all new programs are 64bit. also note you cannot use more than 4gb of ram on a 32 bit windows

because it wouldnt benefit gaming performance.

its your money. im just saying that there are better stuff for cheaper. i can guarantee it wont max out bf4 with a single gtx 670. nothing currently will. you cannot future proof. it always does not work. i can tell you it will still perform well, but no gurarantees it will max out

asus is a better company overall in the higher end market (slightly above the general consumer). gigabyte is nice but right now, the Lk board is 30 bucks cheaper, so id get that instead. it has just enough features that you need. if the gigabyte was the same price, i would have picked that up instead, but it isnt


Thanx for the advice but as far as my research has takin me There are not a lot better for cheaper at all but that's just what i read and was told from pretty trusted sources....its all about knowing how to optimize......but i gotta say speeds have come a LONG way since i played star craft for the first time.......0_0 hahaha
February 1, 2013 2:44:23 AM

djangoringo said:
If you're into editing grab a dual channel kit of 16GB ram, like this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also for that, nvidia cards are better, so a 660 ti suits you.


So The GTX 660ti is the ryte choice?....because i was thinking about taking a step or to up...... couldn't hurt to much lyk my original post said i wanna spoil myself
February 1, 2013 11:30:10 AM

ZombyEcks said:
Thanx for the advice but as far as my research has takin me There are not a lot better for cheaper at all but that's just what i read and was told from pretty trusted sources....its all about knowing how to optimize......but i gotta say speeds have come a LONG way since i played star craft for the first time.......0_0 hahaha


we know what we are talking about. we do way more reading than anyone who just builds a rig for themselves since we configure a ton of rigs for every budget

SSD comparision if you dont believe me
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/355?vs=631

February 1, 2013 11:31:19 AM

the 670 is a better choice if you want to play at higher settings. given all power editions are now locked in voltage, overclocking is limited to a certain degree
February 1, 2013 4:18:44 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the 670 is a better choice if you want to play at higher settings. given all power editions are now locked in voltage, overclocking is limited to a certain degree


yea I just going with 690 expensive but oh well thanks again for the advice it helped a lot always like to hear other opinions on my builds...
February 1, 2013 4:23:05 PM

there isnt much point of a 690 as well. dont get one
February 1, 2013 4:24:32 PM

unless you're into a triple monitor setup or 1440p monitor, i don't see the reason for a 690 gtx, the 660 ti is fine for the price, in terms of editing performance vs 670 gtx is about the same, for gaming, though, the 670 gtx is better, so if you want a 670 gtx, get one of those : asus dcii, msi pe, gigabyte windforce 2/3, evga ftw and signature 2.
February 1, 2013 4:47:23 PM

TheBigTroll said:
we know what we are talking about. we do way more reading than anyone who just builds a rig for themselves since we configure a ton of rigs for every budget

SSD comparision if you dont believe me
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/355?vs=631

we?? sorry but this isn't my first build kid its just the first for myself .......its not that I don't believe you its that a buddy of myne has owned a business in computer repair for 35 years 25 of those years we lived next door to each other and was one of my closest friends he has helped me configure this pc and im sorry not saying u don't know what your doing i would just rather take the advice of someone who has been doing this longer than you have been alive according to ur profile not sure if that's real but i simply wanted a professional unbias opinion fyi i changed the ssd with ur first suggestion but in all you did not suggest anything that would be better except another ssd by the way thank you i just didn't see anything in your build that would honestly improve my build in anyway except the ssd Thank you any way ur opinions were greatly appreciated:) 
February 1, 2013 4:52:00 PM

djangoringo said:
unless you're into a triple monitor setup or 1440p monitor, i don't see the reason for a 690 gtx, the 660 ti is fine for the price, in terms of editing performance vs 670 gtx is about the same, for gaming, though, the 670 gtx is better, so if you want a 670 gtx, get one of those : asus dcii, msi pe, gigabyte windforce 2/3, evga ftw and signature 2.


Yea i have the money so y not? was gonna go with the 670 but oh well as i have run my business and my lyf "it is better to have and not need then need and not have" thank you for the advice
February 1, 2013 4:53:46 PM

ok simple question 690 or 660 price doesn't matter?
February 1, 2013 5:01:13 PM

Just saying that the 660 ti or 670 gtx will do for gaming or editing at 1080p.
You can always add another card later.
February 1, 2013 5:09:48 PM

djangoringo said:
Just saying that the 660 ti or 670 gtx will do for gaming or editing at 1080p.
You can always add another card later.

ok sounds good..........thank you
February 1, 2013 5:13:36 PM

yes most of the components (if not all other than the SSD and the GPU) will not affect performance much. they affect price

i would know my choice for the keyboard is 100% correct. why? anyone who i have given them a chance to use a mechanical keyboard will type faster and enjoy it more than a membrane switch keyboard. if your friend has a old IBM PC keyboard, ask him if he has another lying around.

the ram i chose would be a better choice. i have 1866mhz ram. when i set it back to 1600mhz, it made zero difference in any thing. the reason i had 1866mhz was because it was way cheaper than 1600mhz when i bought it.

same goes for windows. there are almost no programs that run on 32 bit anymore other than special legacy software (by now they most likely have 64bit editions)

if i had the money to get a gpu, it would not be the 690. rather, id get another 670 to complete my SLI and spend my money on something else (i can buy a decent laptop with 600 bucks saved)

your rig is at a point that there are no major changes that you can make. its small suggestions that can add up to large cost differences. its your money, not mine. its really up to you on how you want to spend it. i would save my money for something else, but if you want to spend money on something that wont increase performance, go ahead
February 1, 2013 5:41:44 PM

TheBigTroll said:
yes most of the components (if not all other than the SSD and the GPU) will not affect performance much. they affect price

i would know my choice for the keyboard is 100% correct. why? anyone who i have given them a chance to use a mechanical keyboard will type faster and enjoy it more than a membrane switch keyboard. if your friend has a old IBM PC keyboard, ask him if he has another lying around.

the ram i chose would be a better choice. i have 1866mhz ram. when i set it back to 1600mhz, it made zero difference in any thing. the reason i had 1866mhz was because it was way cheaper than 1600mhz when i bought it.

same goes for windows. there are almost no programs that run on 32 bit anymore other than special legacy software (by now they most likely have 64bit editions)

if i had the money to get a gpu, it would not be the 690. rather, id get another 670 to complete my SLI and spend my money on something else (i can buy a decent laptop with 600 bucks saved)

your rig is at a point that there are no major changes that you can make. its small suggestions that can add up to large cost differences. its your money, not mine. its really up to you on how you want to spend it. i would save my money for something else, but if you want to spend money on something that wont increase performance, go ahead


now that was a great answer!! ok so no performance issuses? except for gpu and keyboard? he also suggested not spending the money on 690 so since 3 people are tellin me not to get it I guess it is the 670 now which means I can get a new monitor......the windows thing I know that already....but I also know what I need....basically when im done with work I wanna be able to switch my mother board over to overclocking profile and enjoy a great game of bf3 with out having to worry about performance basically is this gonna play games better than my ps3 or xbox? from what my knowledge consists of it will?? as for laptops I have a to many lol daughter has one and a tablet wifey has 2 and a tablet I have 3 one is old studio laptop ...im sure he has one the shop has got a warehouse full of old computer parts and keyboards but I have an old ibm desktop comp in storage the keyboard with it too...
February 1, 2013 9:01:58 PM

djangoringo said:
The 660 ti is a good card, especially the 660 MSI PE : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power...

It's a beast for overclocking : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power...

note:the amd cards in that review didn't have catalyst12.11 and they where stock cards at stock speeds.put a 7950 at maximum overclock with the latest driversvs.a 660Ti at maximum overclock with its latest drivers in bf3(a game that likes nvidia)and we will see who wins at 1080p or 1200p ultra settings AAx4
!