Sign in with
Your question

Windows OEM Question

Last response: in Windows 7
March 10, 2012 12:00:06 AM

HI,
I just recently started a business repairing and maintaining computers. I also custom build computers.
My question is I know I can install windows using an oem disk, but how to I get the licence key for my customer?? Also would this come with the official sticker?

Any information would be much appreciated

More about : windows oem question

a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2012 12:17:07 AM

Hi :) 

I own computer shops in the UK and I assume from your name you are UK as well ??

Ok..legally in the UK ..you CAN use your own businesses discs to install operating systems...BUT you MUST use the customers Windows sticker/number ..

You CANNOT legally sell a "copy" of a windows disc to a customer....

Thats a minimum £5000 fine and Trading Standards are VERY VERY hot on it...they WILL try to purchase stuff like that from you....assuming retail premises...or even sometimes from your home..

So basically if no windows number...you SELL them a legal disc which obviously comes with its legal number....

And they aint cheap....no matter how many you buy at once...

All the best Brett :) 
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2012 12:21:08 AM

One more piece of advice ...

Do NOT undercharge for your labour...a common mistake when a new business, and a VERY easy way to go broke...

In my shops we charge £27.50 per 1/2 hour or £50 per hour...

So as an example, a Windows reload with all drivers plus ALL updates, we charge a FIXED charge of 2 hours or £100 ...PLUS the Operating system disc if its missing.....so the best part of £200...and thats WITHOUT any hardware...

Related resources
March 10, 2012 12:22:44 AM

berwick_repair said:
HI,
I just recently started a business repairing and maintaining computers. I also custom build computers.
My question is I know I can install windows using an oem disk, but how to I get the licence key for my customer?? Also would this come with the official sticker?

Any information would be much appreciated

Each version of windows, including OEM versions, all come shipped with a license. In the US, you're only supposed to use it once. You load it, and the disk goes with the computer to the customer.
March 10, 2012 4:56:18 AM

Brett928S2 said:

so the best part of £200...and thats WITHOUT any hardware...

That's really good in uk.... almost 300 CAD.... add $100CAD can buy a new notebook.... with everything brand new...
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2012 9:51:34 AM

Hi berwick_repair

There are at least two meanings to Microsoft OEM Windows

one is the Microsoft Windows CD/DVD with holograms and a booklet, with a key sticker to peel off and put on the PC
This is meant for small scale system builders/repair shops (most wholesalers will sell them to retail customers with some PC Parts)

The other is the PC Manufacturers OEM version, sometimes with a disk some times with a recovery partition and a media builder program
(The manufacturer requires a special license from Microsoft)
Nowdays they are usually BIOS locked to the Make (eg Dell, Toshiba, HP etc)
(Note the key on the Windows label can not be used to license this sort of OEM Windows)

If you have a Dell XP Professional Disk you could re install Windows onto a Dell PC/Laptop with a Dell XP Pro key label without having to activate Windows. I don't think anyone from Trading Standards would object)

(If you try and install a Dell Windows onto a Non Dell PC/Laptop the non Dell motherboard will be detected, activation will be requested but not allowed)

Trading Standards + Microsoft would object to a PC Builder loading (a hacked version of) Windows & Office onto a New PC and charging the customer for Windows & Office.
The customers eventually find that the Windows & Office are pirate versions and complain to the authorities if the seller does not sort this problem out.

There is another OEM version for PC Refurbishers, (dealers in second hand PC's) which an be used to replace missing Windows Disks (and possibly upgrade to current Windows version)

regards

Mike Barnes
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2012 10:10:24 AM

You can buy licenses in bulk(5 or more) from microsoft as well. I think you should give them a call or check out their licensing pages.
March 17, 2012 2:24:02 PM

Wow thanks for all the great advice Everyone. Yes I am an UK start up business. I obviously want to sell only genuine products.

Brett - I have priced myself competitively for my area, but thanks for giving me a guideline :) 

Is it just me or does Microsoft just make you jump through hoops to get even the tiniest discount??

I tried to find out off Microsoft how to buy an oem disk and licence's for a small business and I just couldnt find the information. I custom build PC's and repair them for people. At the moment im having to buy them retail copies as that is all I can find, Well I can find OEM disks but can never find how to buy the licences to go with them!

Thanks again everyone!
a b $ Windows 7
March 17, 2012 5:49:32 PM

We gave up on discounts from MS long ago lol...not worth the time or hassle if you are busy....

Just buy OEM or Retail from somewhere like EBUYER.CO.UK

But make sure you do it all legally...Trading standards have a nasty habit of "test buying" from new start up computer companies...and they say things like...oh I have lost my Windows disc and I hear there is a windows ultimate thats free....lol.....OR oh can you just put office on it as well for free...

Dont do it for ANYONE...its a £5000 fine....

March 17, 2012 7:31:12 PM

Cheers Brett, But nobody gets anything for free from me!
!