Sign in with
Your question

Adding another graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2012 10:24:09 PM

So I recently ordered a pre built PC (haven't received it) and from what I understand the GPU (GTX 660) makes it impossible to add a card. Now of course I plan to upgrade it when we get a refresh from NVIDIA and I was wondering if there is some kind of cable adapter that I can use to hook up another card on SLI so that I don't have to discard the old card altogether.

More about : adding graphics card

a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 12:13:24 AM

Just hook up an SLI bridge to the other card.
m
l
a c 260 U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 12:34:15 AM

xl2aNd0m said:
So I recently ordered a pre built PC (haven't received it) and from what I understand the GPU (GTX 660) makes it impossible to add a card. Now of course I plan to upgrade it when we get a refresh from NVIDIA and I was wondering if there is some kind of cable adapter that I can use to hook up another card on SLI so that I don't have to discard the old card altogether.

I think you are talking about sli.

If the motherboard has a second pci-e slot and supports a second card you would be ok, but apparently this prebuilt does not.
Your upgrade will be to a single stronger card. It is possible, if you have a second pcie slot that the GTX660 could be used for Physx to enhance some games.
But by and large, I think your logical graphics upgrade will be to sell the GTX660 and replace it with a stronger card.
One thing to be careful of with a prebuilt is that the power supply is often only strong enough to power the graphics card that was initially supplied.
And... they often are of mediocre quality.
Use this link to see what power is needed for different graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
m
l
!