Your question
Closed

PSU to Video Card Question

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2013 12:52:17 AM

So I know this is probably a stupid question but I'd like some reassurance before I turn my new build into an expensive paperweight. This is my first build in 15 years and I'm while I'm good with hooking everything to the motherboard, I get really fuzzy with hooking it up to the PSU.

My build:
Mobo: P8z77-v Pro
CPU: Intel i-5 3570k
Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Radeon HD 7870
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (x2 4Gb)
Drives: Samsung 120Gb SSD
Hitachi 1 TB HDD
Optical: LG Modisc
PSU: Corsair CX600M (the modular one)

So I installed everything to the board but I'm having issues hooking up the cables from the PSU to my components. I've got 4 open lines on the PSU the following labels: Peripheral & SATA, 6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 ATX but of course they are all the same type of connection so I'm assuming these indicate line power?

2 questions:

1) I've got 1 SATA cable connecting to the HDD & SSD (on the same line) and another SATA cable going to the optical drive... I'm guessing I should hook these two cables up to the Peripheral & SATA lines? (The SATA's a no brainer but I'm not really understanding what the "Peripheral" line is for)

2) The video card has two openings for 6 slot PCI-E power but the PSU only came with one PCI-E cable containing two 6 slot PCI-E (+2) ends... kind of like a Y connection. Since there is only one cable and one opening on the PSU for PCI-E cable does that mean I can run that single cable and power the entire video card? Or do I need to go out and get a separate PCI-E cable and plug it into that 4+4 line?

Here's the PSU specs.... it says it comes with 2 PCI-E connectors and there is only one cable so I'm leaning towards powering the entire video card with that one cable.

http://www.corsair.com/us/cx-series-cx6000m-modular-atx...

Could someone give me some guidance? I just want to make sure I don't fry my hardware.

Thanks in advance!

More about : psu video card question

February 1, 2013 12:58:58 AM

Dan_k said:
So I know this is probably a stupid question but I'd like some reassurance before I turn my new build into an expensive paperweight. This is my first build in 15 years and I'm while I'm good with hooking everything to the motherboard, I get really fuzzy with hooking it up to the PSU.

My build:
Mobo: P8z77-v Pro
CPU: Intel i-5 3570k
Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Radeon HD 7870
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (x2 4Gb)
Drives: Samsung 120Gb SSD
Hitachi 1 TB HDD
Optical: LG Modisc
PSU: Corsair CX600M (the modular one)

So I installed everything to the board but I'm having issues hooking up the cables from the PSU to my components. I've got 4 open lines on the PSU the following labels: Peripheral & SATA, 6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 ATX but of course they are all the same type of connection so I'm assuming these indicate line power?

2 questions:

1) I've got 1 SATA cable connecting to the HDD & SSD (on the same line) and another SATA cable going to the optical drive... I'm guessing I should hook these two cables up to the Peripheral & SATA lines? (The SATA's a no brainer but I'm not really understanding what the "Peripheral" line is for)

2) The video card has two openings for 6 slot PCI-E power but the PSU only came with one PCI-E cable containing two 6 slot PCI-E (+2) ends... kind of like a Y connection. Since there is only one cable and one opening on the PSU for PCI-E cable does that mean I can run that single cable and power the entire video card? Or do I need to go out and get a separate PCI-E cable and plug it into that 4+4 line?

Here's the PSU specs.... it says it comes with 2 PCI-E connectors and there is only one cable so I'm leaning towards powering the entire video card with that one cable.

http://www.corsair.com/us/cx-series-cx6000m-modular-atx...

Could someone give me some guidance? I just want to make sure I don't fry my hardware.

Thanks in advance!

your SATA question kind of confused me, im not sure what you mean by Peripheral cable, but for your GPU question yes you can power the card with that one cable, as long as it the 2 6-pin connectors, its going to be good
Score
February 1, 2013 8:58:57 PM

Thats great... thanks a bunch!
Score
February 2, 2013 5:52:05 PM

Best answer selected by Dan_k.
Score
!