New build. Was aimming for 1500 w/o monitor

Need some thoughts on this build. Want to get everything just right before i spend 1500 on a new rig. If you can think of better quality parts that are cheaper please let me know.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AMgs

PC will be used mostly for gaming, but it needs to last 3-4 years and still run most games being released in that time.
11 answers Last reply
More about build aimming 1500 monitor
  1. drop the 3770 to a 3570 . Hyperthreading wont help games and hat is the difference between the two

2 x 4 gig of RAM is plenty for gaming

I'd tend to want to use one large monitor . A 26 or 27 inch model

The samsung 830/840 SSD is a better choice

You need a 600 - 650 watt psu to run that
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
  2. For gaming there's no reason to purchase an i7. Instead of 2 x 660, get a single 680 or 7970.

I agree with Outlander that a single large monitor is a good way to go rather than 2 x 21.5" monitors. You could grab one of those 27" IPS panels from eBay for $350 or less.

Here's what I would suggest for $1500:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1327.86
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-01 01:06 EST-0500)
  3. The only reason im going with the i7 is that it is only 10 bucks more than the i5 if i pick up from microcenter. I know that their is no huge advantage from the I7. But i do play BF3 so i think it might be worth the money to have the hyperthreading.
    Just some more thoughts on that.
  4. I5 not necessary neither is 16gb of ram. You are going to want windows 7/8 if you are gaming and an optical drive to install it. No need for sli when you can get a vapor-x 7970
    So here's my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.73 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.49 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($424.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer ($22.75 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($138.81 @ eCost)
    Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($138.81 @ eCost)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1708.49
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-01 03:00 EST-0500)
  5. EasyTransfer said:
    I5 not necessary neither is 16gb of ram. You are going to want windows 7/8 if you are gaming and an optical drive to install it. No need for sli when you can get a vapor-x 7970

I would really hold off on Windows 8. There's a few things about it that are great but most of the complaints against it are pretty well justified.

On your build I would really stay away from XMS RAM - it's cheap and it's Corsair but it's not really one of the things they make well. Also instead of 2 x 21.5" monitors go for a single 25" or 27" monitor - 2 monitors gets you nowhere in first and third person games.
  6. g-unit1111 said:
    I would really hold off on Windows 8. There's a few things about it that are great but most of the complaints against it are pretty well justified.

what complaints?
  7. Outlander_04 said:
    what complaints?

People really seem to hate Metro. I can personally take it or leave it, the desktop is OK but most people can't seem to get past Metro. Just a quick Google search for "Windows 8 sucks" yielded like 29 million hits. :lol:
  8. There is no reason for a desktop user to ever see "metro" .... unless they want to .

In return you get a better task manager
    A license you can transfer to another computer when you upgrade
    much faster boots and restarts
    the ability to use storage spaces , including setting drives to mirror or stripe , from within windows

Yes there is a small learning curve , but in a week at most anyone with an IQ in double figures will have it worked out
  9. Outlander_04 said:
    There is no reason for a desktop user to ever see "metro" .... unless they want to .

In return you get a better task manager
    A license you can transfer to another computer when you upgrade
    much faster boots and restarts
    the ability to use storage spaces , including setting drives to mirror or stripe , from within windows

Yes there is a small learning curve , but in a week at most anyone with an IQ in double figures will have it worked out

Yeah there's a lot of benefits to Windows 8 but like I said a lot of people just can't seem to get past Metro and how bad it is, how it shouldn't belong on a desktop, etc etc...
  10. g-unit1111 said:
    Yeah there's a lot of benefits to Windows 8 but like I said a lot of people just can't seem to get past Metro and how bad it is, how it shouldn't belong on a desktop, etc etc...

I agree. Metro is hopeless on a desk top

But you can download a free open source start button/menu

or pay a few dollars and have a full featured front end .

Since neither of those is any trouble at all there is no reason to not have the advantages of Win 8
  11. So I finally decided on a build. I used some of the info i got from here. Also i used some help from friends that have built their own pcs for years. We did research to see recommended products for the CPU/MOBO we are using.

This is the final build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AXIb
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Monitors New Build Systems Product