Defragmenter Freezes

G

My system is W2K SP2, 800 Mhz, 768 MB RAM, single 13 GB hard drive with over 7 GB free space, ATI 8 MB video. All the latest drivers are loaded. I just installed Diskeeper 7.0 which defragged to 25% and froze. I uninstalled Diskeeper and tried to defrag with the W2K defragger and it froze at 12%. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Diskeeper several times with no change in the problem. I disabled everything in the system tray, and also everything possible running in the background with still no change. I have a network card installed only for a 2 way cable modem. I also tried defragging in the safe mode which did not work. I'm totally out of ideas, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
The problem might be too large a page file. I had a similar problem and by reducing the size
it allowed it to finish.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

Thanks for the reply Old Bear. I reduced my Page File from 1152MB to 500MB and Diskeeper 7 still freezes at 25%. Any more suggestions?

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you maybe have lots of smaller files on that partition? I have one partition that has 20000 small (<100 kb) files and lots of programs have problems with it, including Diskeeper, Norton Ghost, Partition Magic and so on...

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Sometimes, on some systems, if you have your memory overclocked it will also freeze.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Run chkdsk /f on it if you haven't. Could also be some bad clusters.

G

Thanks for the suggestions. I have run Chkdsk/f as well as Chkdsk/f/r and defrag will just not work in either W2K or Diskeeper 7. Being at the end of the line I just formatted the drive and defrag is now working again. I will defrag after adding every software title or windows upgrade and report back if I ever find out where the problem came from. The last upgrade I made prior to noticing the problem was to IE 6, maybe this was the culprit. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Bill

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Thanks for the post back.