More info on the R1 (and plastic shortcomings)

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 9, 2005 9:36:52 PM

Sadly, this ALL PLASTIC camera needs a bracket to use aux
WA and Tele lenses. It would be funny if it weren't so
pathetic. If not used with the bracket, the weight of the aux
lenses (large because they must support a large sensor without
vignetting) will rip the lens mount right out of the body. So
much for plastic threaded holes trying to hold screws in.
-Rich

Sony Establishes a New Class of High-End Digital Camera

[Cyber-shot R1 camera]
Sony intends to create a new benchmark in digital photography with the
introduction of its high-end Cyber-shot DSC-R1 camera.
The Cyber-shot R1 camera is the world's first integrated lens digital
still camera to combine a professional-grade, 10.3-megapixel image
sensor and the flexibility of live preview while shooting. With its
ultra-wide Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T zoom lens (24mm - 120mm) and
free-angle, two-inch LCD, the Cyber-shot R1 brings professional level
imaging performance to mainstream consumers.

"The R1 represents a breakthrough in digital camera technology and
construction," said James Neal, director for digital imaging products
at Sony Electronics. "You can grab this camera and go, confident that
you will be prepared for a wide range of shooting situations. Its many
convenience features and exceptional performance can not easily be
matched with a typical consumer-level digital SLR."

A Class of Its Own

Photo enthusiasts know that image sensor size is one of the most
important influences on picture quality. Professional-grade image
sensors, sometimes referred to as advanced photo system (APS) or
APS-class, are many times the size of compact sensors used in
point-and-shoot cameras; large sensors deliver extraordinary
resolution, high sensitivity to light, and lower image noise or
graininess for exceptional pictures. At 10.3 megapixels, the R1's
sensor offers one of the highest resolutions available in the APS
class.

Unlike digital SLRs, the Cyber-shot R1 unit's sensor allows for a
"live" preview thanks to Sony Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor
(CMOS) technology. Until now, the extraordinary power consumption of
these large sensors has limited their operation to image capture only
- unable to support the benefit of a live preview. Sony's distinctive
design is employed to reduce power consumption, as well as increase
image processing speeds.

The camera's electronic viewfinder or two-inch LCD lets you evaluate
scene conditions, such as exposure and how color is rendered before
taking a shot. Because the R1 camera can preview electronically, using
the image sensor itself in real-time, framing is always 100% accurate.

Built Digital from the Ground Up

The R1's integrated Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar lens was carefully crafted
to take full advantage of the resolution, clarity and color
performance of its APS-class CMOS image sensor. Because of the
sensor's live preview capability, there is no need for the camera to
have a traditional "mirror and prism" construction common to digital
SLRs. This allows a lens-to-sensor distance of as little as 2 mm,
optimizing image quality and color accuracy.

Another benefit of this structure is the ability to incorporate an
extraordinary wide field of view and zoom range. The 24 mm wide end of
the lens is particularly suited for architectural photography,
landscapes and large-group portraits, while the 120 mm telephoto end
is perfect for filling the frame with distant subjects. This is a
range not easily matched by any other lens for use with cameras using
large-scale image sensors.

Furthermore, no mirror and prism construction means that the R1 is a
quiet camera, perfect for shooting at a tennis match or in nature
without disturbing wildlife.

Get the Shot without the Backache

The Cyber-shot R1 sports a two-inch, LCD screen that folds flat and
swivels so you can shoot from nearly any position. This flexibility
allows you to get the shots that other cameras miss. For example, you
can hold the camera low - down to the ground - for eye-level view
shots of kids and pets without having to bend yourself into a pretzel
or crawling on the ground.

The Power of Optimal Image Processing

A 10.3-megapixel camera needs a fast processor. Sony harnessed the
power of it Real Imaging Processor LSI to achieve fast response times,
low power consumption and clear images.

The new camera features a one-second shot-to-shot time, three
frame-per-second burst shooting, and a shutter release time of only
7.5 milliseconds. Because it consumes 70 percent less power than
Sony's previous processing circuitry, the camera has a battery life of
up to 500 shots per charge, which can vary according to use and camera
settings.

For enhanced versatility, Cyber-shot R1 offers three different modes
of color reproduction: Adobe RGB used for professional graphics and
offset color printing, Standard sRGB for most computer-based uses, and
Vivid sRGB for more intense primary colors.

The camera's user selectable Advanced Gradation Control System (AGCS)
optimizes image contrast, in order to avoid "blown out" highlights in
high-contrast scenes and "crushed" blacks in low-contrast ones. AGCS
evaluates the distribution of brightness and then automatically
applies the appropriate gamma curve to achieve better pictures.

Users will also enjoy the added convenience of storing images onto
Memory Stick PRO media, as well as CompactFlash Type I and Type II
media or Microdrive media. The camera supports both JPEG and RAW
formats, which can then be manipulated on a PC using the supplied Sony
Image Data Converter SR software.

The Cyber-shot R1 camera will be available in mid-November for about
$1,000 online at SonyStyle.com.

The new camera is supplied with a NP-FM50 InfoLithium battery, an
AC-L15 adaptor, a USB and video cables, shoulder strap, and CD-ROM
software with PicturePackage and Image Data Converter SR for RAW.

This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:56:18 PM

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:36:52 -0400, Rich <none@none.com> wrote:

>Sadly, this ALL PLASTIC camera needs a bracket to use aux
>WA and Tele lenses. It would be funny if it weren't so
>pathetic. If not used with the bracket, the weight of the aux
>lenses (large because they must support a large sensor without
>vignetting) will rip the lens mount right out of the body. So
>much for plastic threaded holes trying to hold screws in.

The tele adapter weighs 950g, for pete's sake. Is it any wonder?

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]
!