Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't decide...

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 1, 2013 3:58:53 AM

Alright i'm making plans for a gaming computer that will last through the years, the games I want to play smoothly are games like DCS A-10, FSX, ARMA 3, and games like farcry 3. I have came up with a list for two builds one Intel and one AMD. Note that these parts are subjected to change since it will be months intill I have the money. (Also I already have 4gb's of RAM and I didn't include monitor.)

Intel

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

MotherBoard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-...

Videocard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hardrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Opticaldrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Powersupply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...


AMD

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

MotherBoard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Videocard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hardrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Opticaldrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Powersupply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...


Input would be nice if you think I should change some parts let me know.


More about : decide

February 1, 2013 4:20:02 AM

Go for the intel build, as the processor is superior in gaming. However, change the GPU to an AMD Radeon HD 7950, and buy a less expensive Power Supply (500-650w is better in your price range). Also that power supply does not have an 80+ certification nor is it a major brand. I think that its unsafe and should be avoided.
February 1, 2013 4:24:07 AM

MichaelMiller65 said:
Alright i'm making plans for a gaming computer that will last through the years, the games I want to play smoothly are games like DCS A-10, FSX, ARMA 3, and games like farcry 3. I have came up with a list for two builds one Intel and one AMD. Note that these parts are subjected to change since it will be months intill I have the money. (Also I already have 4gb's of RAM and I didn't include monitor.)

Intel

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

MotherBoard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-...

Videocard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hardrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Opticaldrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Powersupply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...


AMD

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

MotherBoard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Videocard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hardrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Opticaldrive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Powersupply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...


Input would be nice if you think I should change some parts let me know.


Right of the bat I'll say go Intel as AMD cpu's and gpu's don't get updated in a timely manner. Take the latest Crysis 3 multiplayer demo... AMD GPU's were having issues as they weren't being updated / no drivers... I almost went with a AMD GPU, but games that would require Phyx wouldn't work on an AMD GPU....

watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbpI7GX5r-g
Related resources
February 1, 2013 4:28:03 AM

plasmaj12345 said:
Go for the intel build, as the processor is superior in gaming. However, change the GPU to an AMD Radeon HD 7950, and buy a less expensive Power Supply (500-650w is better in your price range)

I could never spend more than $300 on a gpu as for the power supply its only $10 difference for a 650w so i'll stick with the 750w
February 1, 2013 4:33:04 AM

SHO_ONE said:
Right of the bat I'll say go Intel as AMD cpu's and gpu's don't get updated in a timely manner. Take the latest Crysis 3 multiplayer demo... AMD GPU's were having issues as they weren't being updated / no drivers...


AMD's GPUs actually get their drivers updated frequently and Crysis 3 is not a well optimized game anyway so far. By its release, Crysis 3 should be fine with both AMD and Nvidia.
February 1, 2013 4:38:19 AM

MichaelMiller65 said:
I could never spend more than $300 on a gpu as for the power supply its only $10 difference for a 650w so i'll stick with the 750w


You run the risk of the Power Supply blowing up on you since it is not 80 plus certification and not a major brand (think Antec, Corsair, XFX, etc). 650w is more than enough power to power your system and supply headroom for overclocking. If you do not wish to overclock, a 500w PSU might be better for your needs as you could afford the more expensive GPU. As a side note, the 660 Ti costs the same as the 7950, yet the 7950 is better. You could easily find a 7950 for cheaper but you do not get as good coolers. Basically, that power supply is unreliable and risky. Its not worth it. Many other members on this site would advise against getting it as well.
February 1, 2013 4:42:09 AM

plasmaj12345 said:
AMD's GPUs actually get their drivers updated frequently and Crysis 3 is not a well optimized game anyway so far. By its release, Crysis 3 should be fine with both AMD and Nvidia.


I'll agree that Crysis 3 isn't optimized in the slightest bit, but I feel the AMD still lacks in the update department...
February 1, 2013 4:42:30 AM

plasmaj12345 said:
You run the risk of the Power Supply blowing up on you since it is not 80 plus certification and not a major brand (think Antec, Corsair, XFX, etc). 650w is more than enough power to power your system and supply headroom for overclocking. If you do not wish to overclock, a 500w PSU might be better for your needs as you could afford the more expensive GPU. As a side note, the 660 Ti costs the same as the 7950, yet the 7950 is better. You could easily find a 7950 for cheaper but you do not get as good coolers. Basically, that power supply is unreliable and risky. Its not worth it. Many other members on this site would advise against getting it as well.

Alright thanks that's why I came on here in the first place to get good advice since this is my first build.
February 1, 2013 4:47:30 AM

plasmaj12345 said:
You run the risk of the Power Supply blowing up on you since it is not 80 plus certification and not a major brand (think Antec, Corsair, XFX, etc). 650w is more than enough power to power your system and supply headroom for overclocking. If you do not wish to overclock, a 500w PSU might be better for your needs as you could afford the more expensive GPU. As a side note, the 660 Ti costs the same as the 7950, yet the 7950 is better. You could easily find a 7950 for cheaper but you do not get as good coolers. Basically, that power supply is unreliable and risky. Its not worth it. Many other members on this site would advise against getting it as well.


Agreed, that PSU could cost you your entire build....

As for the GPU, it's really up to you.... I went with the EVGA GTX 660, It's more than enough for me as I don't plan on going over 1080p
February 1, 2013 4:53:13 AM

SHO_ONE said:
Agreed, that PSU could cost you your entire build....

As for the GPU, it's really up to you.... I went with the EVGA GTX 660, It's more than enough for me as I don't plan on going over 1080p


At 1080p, the 660 does not do a great job at maintaing good fps in some games. For the games you play, it may max everything out with good fps, but idk what the op plays. The 7950 (especially when overclocked), will max out every game (except Crysis 3 when it comes out, as a dual GPU setup is what is rumored). To stay safe, the 7950 is a good buy and will future proof somewhat to the op.
February 1, 2013 5:01:18 AM

plasmaj12345 said:
You could save more money by getting the power supply that I posted above. It has the same specs, yet costs $40 cheaper.

Alright i'll look more into that one saving money is always a plus most of the times
February 1, 2013 11:14:40 AM

MichaelMiller65 said:
Alright i'll look more into that one saving money is always a plus most of the times


I'm all about saving, but convenience and more importantly getting a deal is so much better... for instance I bought the cooler master silent M2 620 watt semi modular psu for $90.... But NewEgg was selling it with a $25 rebate.... So with that I'll consider it a $65 psu or a free game in the future! Look for these deals and even with what the help here, do your own research. I personally couldn't stop using this forum (this community rocks) and reddit/pcbuild sub-reddit to ask my questions, but once I was given a 'lead' (i.e. psu suggestion) I then would go and do a little digging of my own.... Here is an Antac 550W psu http://goo.gl/6NCma its semi modular. Semi-modular psu's are great for two reasons; 1. As you'd only use the cords / wires you'd need you keep your system free and clean, this is great for air flow and keeping the rig cooler & 2. A semi-modular psu is great for first timers and elite builders alike as it keeps unnecessary wires out of the way and minimize confusion.
I wish you the best of luck!
!