New Build Boot Problem

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Boot
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2013 4:25:14 AM

I just completed my first build and everything posted / worked just fine. I got Windows installed fine and all components were recognized. But every time I turn it off for awhile and come back to turn it on, the system will not boot until I physically remove the graphics card and put it right back in. Then it will boot, but the problem rinses and repeats. When I say will not boot, I mean the system turns on, fans go, everything has power (including GPU) but no signal will reach my monitor. The MoBo I'm using displays the Dr. Debug code "b2" which apparently corresponds to "Legacy Option Rom Initialization", which I have no idea what that means. Anyway I just shut it down, pull out then put back in the G card and it boots for one time only. I have tried the card in another slot and the same thing happens. System boots fine when graphics card is out of system but that doesn't rule out the MoBo by any means I know. Heeeeeeellllllppppp please.

Specs:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.23 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($329.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($424.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($191.82 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($174.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.62 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2064.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-01 01:23 EST-0500)

More about : build boot problem

a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2013 4:35:44 AM

Clear the cmos, if it doesn't solve it, update the bios to the latest version.
Check with just one/two sticks of ram.
If it still doesn't fix it, the motherboard could be defective.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2013 4:54:31 AM

I hadn't, so I just did. It booted for the first time just like when I remove / put back in the card. But it failed with the same debug code / symptoms after a reboot.
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:06:40 AM

Ok so this is new. Removed all 4 sticks of ram. Put 2 back in, posted once just like when I removed the GPU, but then on the reboot it failed with the same code / symptoms. Put all 4 back in, same story.

checking latest bios, pretty sure i already have it.
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:33:33 AM

Was not in most recent bios, however, after I downloaded the most recent (did not install yet) The computer has boot up 5 times in a row no problem. I HATE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS.

Will have to wait half a day, let it sit, see if it comes back, then I'll try new bios.
m
l
February 1, 2013 7:05:23 AM

It came back. Same issue. Updated BIOS to most recent, no fix.

Bad MoBo?

I've read online in some places this b2 debug code is pretty universal, like getting it replaced might not fix it..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2013 7:51:31 PM

yeah its your motherboard im 99% sure it is, either that or it is your PSU but normally if you psu is failing it will just randomly start(if its not completely dead) but yeah after you reinstalled that stuff it booted narrows it down to the motherboard and CPU
m
l
February 1, 2013 8:05:48 PM

Unfortunately I screwed up the tests last night. I left the card in the whole time i did the ram tests and bios upgrade, So its either the graphics card or the mobo. I ran the ram tests again today with the graphic card out and it booted perfect every time. the graphic card works in neither pcie slot. Newegg RMA time for GPU?
m
l
!