Sign in with
Your question

4 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2012 5:05:44 AM

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my existing system to go to 4 monitors and am looking for the right nvidia graphics card (I want to stick to nvidia). I was looking at the GT 640 but looking at the picture I can only see 3 outputs.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I don't do any gaming and it's mostly for browsing/emails. Resolution wise I use 1680x1050 on my current 2 22" dell monitors which I am looking to replace with 4x24" (Brand not decided yet).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

More about : monitors

a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 5:17:14 AM

Do you have an onboard GPU chipset? You could always extend your desktop using the onboard chip since they work together as long as its not AMD technology with an Nvidia Discrete GPU.
December 17, 2012 5:22:26 AM

I don't believe so, I currently have an Asus P8P67 Deluxe. The reason I want to try get a card with 4 outputs is there isn't even enough space to fit a second card.
Related resources
a c 78 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 5:27:15 AM

mightymaxio said:
Do you have an onboard GPU chipset? You could always extend your desktop using the onboard chip since they work together as long as its not AMD technology with an Nvidia Discrete GPU.

AMD tech works FINE with nvidia. The drivers are totally separate and managed by windows. If you have integrated graphics just turn them on in the bios, but not as primary

AMD is better for multi monitor. Only high end nvidia cards support 4 outputs like the 670. Maybe the 660ti. not sure
December 17, 2012 5:31:29 AM

unksol said:
AMD tech works FINE with nvidia. The drivers are totally separate and managed by windows. If you have integrated graphics just turn them on in the bios, but not as primary

AMD is better for multi monitor. Only high end nvidia cards support 4 outputs like the 670. Maybe the 660ti. not sure

The reason I want to go nvidia is I've had problems with the ATI drivers on linux and multi monitors. I actually downgraded my 2GB Radeon 5970 with a cheap nvidia card last year because of it.

I am just trying to decide on the best route. Anything lower than £250 GBP I can consider and anything above I may aswell build a brand new system with 2 cards for around £700
a c 78 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 5:31:38 AM

practical76 said:
I don't believe so, I currently have an Asus P8P67 Deluxe. The reason I want to try get a card with 4 outputs is there isn't even enough space to fit a second card.

Your board has plenty of space and a second slot so...?
a c 78 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2012 5:33:21 AM

practical76 said:
The reason I want to go nvidia is I've had problems with the ATI drivers on linux and multi monitors. I actually downgraded my 2GB Radeon 5970 with a cheap nvidia card last year because of it.

I am just trying to decide on the best route. Anything lower than £250 GBP I can consider and anything above I may aswell build a brand new system with 2 cards for around £700

Its AMD, not ATI. But whatever works. I always hard AMD had good Linux support, and NVIDIA were a pain and refused to cooperate
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 4:46:37 PM

Actually it was the other way around AMD had horrible driver support for Linux for the longest time look at open GL standards. All Nvidia cards 650ti and up support 4 monitors and AMD and Nvidia both have about the same performance for multi monitor displays.
December 18, 2012 10:16:05 AM

There is enough slots but not enough space to fit a larger card. I could however sacrifice my sound card.

I ended up asking one of my staff who runs a similar setup at home and he's basically said not alot has changed since I last checked this in 2010. The expensive tripple/quad head cards are a waste as you loose compositing so 2 cheaper dual head cards is a better route to take as you still end up using xinerama. It also seems to still hold true that the nvidia offering is still superior to the AMD/ATI offering when it comes to drivers and especially in the dual+ display setups.
!