What graphic card do I need to play 3d on my PC?

Ericane

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hello everyone!

I am helping out a friend that has on old home built pc, and a new 3D TV. He tried to play a SBS movie file on his PC, but it got all laggy.. So he asked me for help to improve his PC, so that he could press play on his PC, and watch the 3D file on his TV (HDMI).

However, I am not really an expert on 3D, but I know that you should have a graphic card that supports 3D.
But is it enough to just buy a better graphic card? Or is a better processor or more RAM memory needed?

I havent checked his PC, but I remember tht he had something like this:

1 core AMP CPU
1 or 2 GB DDR1 (or 2)
Some old graphic card that could barely play Flat out 2
Cheap case, mobo, PSU.

Is it worth buying a better video card? In that case, what is the minimi that plays 3D movies flawless?

(He is only using his PC for movies, not really for gaming)

Thanks!

Ericane

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
That is what I taught too, but is it possible to just play the SBS movie in the computer, and let the TV put it in to 3D?

Because the SBS movie was almost playing on his current setup.

And BTW, Im looking for help and recommendations, not negative comments.

rezervesizeja

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Nothing negative here, I suggested you to throw that old comp out, isn't that a suggestion? If the file is played from a PC it means that all the information will be going trough the old computer. In this case your friends 3d tv is just an output device. You can try playing a regular video on the comp and turn on the 3d using the tv, that might work.

Ericane

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, that is true. But do you see the difference between these 2 things:

1.The PC sends SBS to a 3D TV wich them makes the picture to 3D.

2.The PC makes the picture to 3D and the TV is just an output.

My question here is: is it possible to play 3D from a PC to HDTV as in nr.1?

rezervesizeja

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

It's possible from a newer hardware. But it will struggle if you'll use that old system.

Ericane

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Okay, but if the store has got retun policy? Would it be worth buying a better card and even try to play a 3D movie trough HDMI?
Do I need any software, or is it possible to just play SBS straight to the tv?

G

you need software that supports HDMI 1.4 for 3D playback no matter WHAT system you have, even a athlon 64 X2 4800+ would suffice. no need for a higher end system.

google is your friend :)

Ericane

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Thank you, I guess I needed to get some expert advice in order to be confident to tell my friend that it might be required to buy a new computer :)

rezervesizeja

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Well, basically you can use any monitor/tv 3D or no 3d to see 3D images.There are few programs out there that convert the image of a game or a movie to 3D.

G

he may not need to throw out the system, check to see if the motherboard can support a dual core CPU. though if changing a CPU seems like a daunting task and he can swap/return the system with little or no loss money wise than fine.

but again, do a little googling for blu ray 3D playback software, the tech specs will allow him to know what to look for.