What GPU to buy please?

shaun88

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
hey everyone, at the moment i have AMD Athlon II X4 640 (Quad core 3.0Ghz) 4GB RAM and AMD HD 6570

i want to update my GPU to a better one so i can play games such as Far Cry and Crysis on full max spec

what would you guys recommend? i was thinking maybe XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB or GTX 660 TwinFrozr III / OC 2GB GDDR5

also, would it be best to stay with a AMD GPU considering my CPU is AMD?

thanks everyone

first find out what power supply you have and if it will provide enough power for your future graphics
it doesnt matter if you pick nvidia and amd with your amd cpu...you can look at reviews and pick either one based on which one has bettwer drivers for the games you wantt o paly

shaun88

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

hi, my power supply is only 300, i need to update this too.
i would like a GPU that will run the new GTA V on max when its released next year and i know the size of the map will be huge so i'll need a decent one, my budget is about £150

For that money, you'd be much better off grabbing a GTX660. Be aware though that GTA4 was notoriously CPU-bound (meaning you needed a powerful CPU, not just GPU). If GTA5 is the same, your setup may struggle regardless of GPU. The CPU you have will likely hold back a GTX660 (or a 7850) but will mean when the time comes for a new CPU, you'll already have an excellent card to go with it.