Win 7 pc boot crash after new PSU installation

mthomas_13

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi everyone,

my NZXT PSU (Hale90 750W) recently failed and I received a replacement unit.

Since I installed the replacement unit, my computer crashes regularly. The crashes seem to be triggered mainly by driver installations as follows:

1. The installation of a driver crashes and does not complete. The only way to end the installation is to terminate via task manager. Working in Windows still works flawlessly until:
2. during the subsequent shutdown, the shutdown process seems to "hang" at the "Shutting down" screen but the computer does not power off.
3. Press and hold the power button to shut system down
4. Restart the system - While the case lighting comes on, no output to the screen
5. Press and hold the power button to shut system down
6. Restart the system - the only way to get back into Windows is to go back to the last restore point, safe mode will not work, nor will "repair system"

I went through the above procedure about 7 times now! Something seems to be seriously wrong and the only thing I have changed is the power supply. I did scan for viruses and for rootkits but the system is clean.

My system specs:
Windows 7 professional x64
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz @ 4.40GHz Overclocked
Asus P8P67 Pro (NOT B3 revision!)
Hale 90 750W
Zalman Z7 Plus Midi Tower Case
Crucial C4 256GB SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

G

what driver is being flonky? (failing to install)
what graphics card do you have? (a P67 board doesn't have onboard graphics)
did you check ALL connections? (you may have loosened a data cable when replacing the power supply.)

mthomas_13

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi Looniam, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply!

I've got a ASUS GTX 670 installed

The first instance when the problem occured was when installing the 390.10 nvidia drivers. But it happened since when installing other things like my saitek joystick or certain windows updates.

I did check all connections (that I could find :) )and couldn't find any loose ones.

mattboymatt

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
few suggestions
1. try to defrag your hdd
2. if you OS is on a different HDD to where your trying to install the drivers try installing them on the same hdd
3. check the voltage and consistancy of the psu

i may be completely off but its just my personal opinion.

hope that helps

G

you mean nvidia 310.90 drivers?

i have seen on the 3D guru forums that some folks are having problems with 310.95 but the 310.96 has supposedly corrected the installation issue. sorry i digress . .

lets start with some basics, check the RAM is still seated properly. go into the BIOS set as default, removing the overclock for now. remember to keep the SSD in AHCI and its the boot drive.

if removing the overclock fixes it, then you will need to adjust the settings differently to OC in the future (maybe not enough Vcore(?))

if you still have the problem, lets test each stick of RAM. i had something similar going on with a friends computer and it turned out to be a flonky stick.

then i would start to wonder about the SSD. no idea about what exactly to do with that, sorry. weird things can happen for seemly no apparent reason - but about this time, after looking at the overclock and RAM issues, a clean re-installation of W7 might clear things up.

G

(pssst . .never defrag an SSD)

:)

mthomas_13

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks a lot for the comments, I will reset the bios to default once I get home tonight.

How can I check the psu voltages? Is there software that can display these things or do I need to get my multimeter out?

G

HWiNFO/32/64 Tools
Professional System Information and Diagnostic
http://www.hwinfo.com/

good free stuff.

edit: of to work myself - good luck if i can';t check in later . .