Is it my Adapter or Router?

Rerona

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
So I have Hawaiian Telcom & recently I have had issues with them in which despite having phone filters I would disconnect. So they had come in and setup a direct line so I would not have that issue anymore. It worked fine, but now I have a different issue. The 3 computers connected to the router/modem with a ethernet cable can connect to the internet no problem, same with my laptop wirelessly. But my wireless desktop cant connect to it, occasionally I can and it will stay on with no disconnects, but I always have a hard time connecting to it initially when I boot up my computer. This led me to believe it was a issue with my wireless adapter, but now comes the weird part. I can easily connect to my neighbors internet which has a mere signal strength of 25% versus my home network of 80%. My home network is WPA2 Personal and my neighbor is not password protected. I don't believe it's an issue with the password though cause when I do connect I have no issues with that. I either can't get pass the authenticating but when I do sometimes it says I'm connected to my home router but 0 packets are being sent/received.

RealBeast

Titan
Double check all the network settings of the desktop with the wireless connect problem. Since the adapter clearly works well, I would assign the wireless desktop a reserved address in the router (like a static address but in the dhcp assignable range) or static address in the network but out of the dhcp assignment range and see if it helps.

And if your neighbor isn't a jerk, I would tell him to use some security.

Rerona

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Could it possibly be an issue with the OS? Cause the only time I have this problem is when I initially boot up my computer. After I connect one time while it's on I don't have this issue until the next time I boot up my computer.

Rerona

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
It's from my understanding that there is a IP Address that you must type in order to access routers, but with the one supplied by Hawaiian Telcom, it's a router & modem built in one. So I'm not entirely sure I can access the settings since they don't have any such address listed on the device.

RealBeast

Titan
If you have a router, you must be able to manage your internal ip addresses. They assign your WAN address, but you should be able to configure your LAN -- including control of the dhcp server (that assigns your internal addresses). What is the brand and model of the router that they provided?

RealBeast

Titan
Oh yes, you can configure that modem -- just look at the user manual, which you should get if you don't already have. Basically, just type in the gateway in your computer browser 192.168.1.254 and admin/admin for user ID and password.

You can then setup your internal LAN settings to assign the MAC address of the computer a specific ip address. You get the MAC address by typing ipconfig in the command prompt box of the computer (it will also tell you the ip address, the gateway and subnet mask -- which should be 255.255.255.0).