Your question

Looking to build first PC..

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2013 12:04:34 PM

Hi Friends,

First post here.. I was a windows guy for a looong time, and have been using macs for the last 5 years.. I like them well enough, but I have a few programs that I still need to use windows for.. Primarily, I fly radio controlled helicopters for fun, and have a few simulators that are PC based only.. I have my old PC but it is not up to the task to running these simulators. I've been looking at putting together something that I can connect to my HDTV (55 inch Samsung) so that I can use my sims on the television.. I'm fairly adept at putting things together, so I don't doubt I can do this, but I am trying to keep it on a budget (wifey is already looking at me like I'm nuts..)

I went on TigerDirect.com and was so overwhelmed by the choices that I thought I should ask for some suggestions.. Soooo.. Here is what I'm looking for, and I'm hoping you guys may point me in the right direction.. Seems like it would be easy to overpurchase when building your own PC..

I want something that can handle these graphics programs well.. My TV is a older HDTV, and is limited to 60HZ.. I'm not positive, but does this limit my frame rate to 60FPS? IF so, I won't need to get run faster than that.. I need a HDMI output obviously.. Keyboard and wireless mouse.. Wireless Internet ability.. Black case.. I have a older copy of windows XP that I can use, but if I would be best served with 7 or 8, I can do that as well..

Anyway, thanks very much for any guidance you guys can provide on something that will run these programs well on my HDTV.. I'm posting the "advertised minimum system requirements" below.. If that helps at all..

Phoenix RC Sim:
Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system
• 256MB system memory (RAM)
• 1.5 GB free, uncompressed hard-disk space*
• ATI Radeon 9800/NVidia Geforce Ti4200 with at least 128MB memory
• Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or higher
• DVD-ROM Drive for installation
• 1 free USB 1.1/2.0 port
• 100% DirectX 9 compatible sound card (optional)

RealFlight:
For best graphical performance
Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
2 GB RAM
3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

John

More about : build

February 1, 2013 2:41:01 PM

What is the budget? Can't suggest hardware without knowing what the "you're sleeping on the couch!"-limit is.
m
l
February 1, 2013 10:16:06 PM

Hey.. Thanks for the response!

I don't want to purchase a lot more than what I need to run this software smoothly.. Have used AMD CPU's before, and don't have a problem with them.. I'd like to keep the whole thing in the 5-600 dollar range if possible..

Thanks again..

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2013 11:31:37 PM

This is the full package to get you playing for under $600

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AVf1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AVf1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AVf1/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $565.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-01 20:31 EST-0500)
m
l
!