Sign in with
Your question

Monitor won't detect new PC build

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2013 12:41:28 PM

Hi,

After finishing my build today, when I turned my build on but my monitor doesn't detect anything. When I try using a HDMI cable it says "no connection detected", when I try using a DVI cable it says "no signal detected". All my fans run, my keyboard powers up, I've tried using both the HD/DVI ports on the GPU and on the I/O ports on my motherboard but none work, I've tried switching the memory slots, etc.

My build is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor
Other: Windows 8

And I've done most of the things in this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-13-perform-ste...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

More about : monitor detect build

a b C Monitor
February 1, 2013 1:21:13 PM

The thread you mentioned was created to troubleshoot this exact type of problem. Once you can say you've done ALL of the steps instead of MOST then we can go from there...
February 1, 2013 1:58:07 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The thread you mentioned was created to troubleshoot this exact type of problem. Once you can say you've done ALL of the steps instead of MOST then we can go from there...

Ok well I've just finished the ones which applied to me and it still won't work.
Related resources
February 1, 2013 2:36:50 PM

Does that video card have a separate 'port' for a power supply connection? If 'yes', did you plug the power supply into this port? Does the video card show up in the Device Manager? I'm going to bet that it doesn't. If i'm right, remove the video card and reinstall it, making sure it is COMPLETELY seated in the PCIe slot. Then verify that the video card does show in the device manager. Then install latest driver. Then have lunch.
February 1, 2013 2:54:08 PM

Hi,

one quick test, take the memory out of the box (while the pc is shut down of course)

then try to power up. If you got a pc speaker you should hear beeps.
If not their is a problem with cpu/mobo/psu.
If you do, their is a problem with card or configuration.
In the bios you selected the dedicated gpu ?

February 1, 2013 6:06:20 PM

Okay I tried something else when I asked on a different forum (powering the PC up without the graphics card inside) and it worked, I've set up Windows 8 and all my programs, including installing the drivers for my graphics card but it still doesn't work.
a b C Monitor
February 1, 2013 7:54:14 PM

if the system posts with one dimm and no video card..check the mb bios is up to date a lot of new x77 chipset have a lot of patches for ram..cpu and video cards.
February 2, 2013 9:54:29 AM

smorizio said:
if the system posts with one dimm and no video card..check the mb bios is up to date a lot of new x77 chipset have a lot of patches for ram..cpu and video cards.

Hi, whenever I tried to install a new BIOS version from the Gigabyte website it just it isn't compatible with x64
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2013 9:20:32 PM

just went ot gigbytes web page the bios downloaded and unzipped fine for me. the bios.exe program unzipped an 8mb rom file on my downloads folder. all i had to do was movie it to a usb stick then boot into the bios and use the gigbyte bios updater.
!