A build to last me atleast 4 years

G

I am new to this forum and thought it would be a good place to ask the following question:

My current computer is something like this :

MSI 945P Neo 3 motherboard

Intel core E6300 1.86 Ghz processor (stock cooling)

Maxxtor 200 Gb harddisk

Aopen case

Aopen 350W PSU

Aopen dvd burner

Sapphire radeon 3850 512Mb

Ram 2 Gb ??

I bought this computer in 2006 and had the company I bought it from put the 3850 in it in 2007. Now the computer always ran fine and it still does. Recently I started looking the speed of my computer and started noticing how slow it actually was compared to modern standards. I looked into it a bit an thought some mild overclocking might work but it wil not go any further than 2 Ghz otherwise it wil not turn on and I have to clear the CMOS again. It has always been a very noisy thing and the front of case case has always rattled but it just kinda took my abuse for 7 year now and still runs fine.

However I have come to the point that i think it needs replacing. I will be going to college starting next year and because im studying to become an electrical engineer i need my compuiter to be able to run lots of different software that I use to draw schematics and simulations and the like. My computer can probably handle it but it will be hard for me to run multiple programs at the same time. The final drop for me was that the intel pentium computer I am using at work is twice as fast as my own computer which kinda pissed me off. I know it's stupid but yeah...

So with all these thought I wanna replace my computer and build it myself. I have never build a computer before but because I pretty much work with delicate electronics every day it really doesn't concern me. So long story short : I want to build a new computer an want your opinion if it wil last me 4 years of studying. Money is an issue but if i need better hardware then so be it. Now here is the list i made :

Intel core i5 3570K

Gigabyte z77 x3dh

Cooler master 600W 80 plus gold PSU

Zalman z11 plus case

samsung dvd burner

corsair force gt 120 Gb SSD

western digital 1 TB HDD

MSi 7870 twinfrozr

Corsair vengeance 2 x 4 1600 Mhz

I really need to have this computer up and running before summer starts. Maybe I should wait for the radeon 8xxx series and haswell? I would like some opinions on this. For the 4 years I wil not buy anything new for it so i really want it to get me through. Mostly because i probably won't have any money because i'm pumping it into my studies. I might just get a new screen or something later but that's really it. Ofcourse Ivy Bridge is a huge step from my old core processor but I am still curious.

If you want the latest and greatest from Intel wait for the Haswell, but know its going to be more then the Ivy Bridge. Who knows it may even support DDR4 since DDR4 is suppose to be coming out this year. If you don't mind your current build being obsolete in June when the Haswell comes out build your Ivy bridge system now and enjoy it and well see you in 3-6 years. Otherwise wait and save you money.

g-unit1111

Titan

Haswell is only going to offer a 5 - 10% increase in speed over Ivy Bridge if at that. Same thing with video cards - I'm not really expecting a lot being brought to the table there. The CPU lineup has already been released and we know there's nothing new being brought to the table in terms of clock speeds. The CPU numbers are almost identical too. Before you know it Haswell will be discontinued and 14nm CPUs will be released, and so on and so forth.

G

I agree with the statement above. When you buy a new computer an build it it's gonna be out of date the next day anyway. The electronics upgrade so fast that I just think Frick it i'll buy something now.

As for the budget I was planning on getting a build for 600$ (I live in Holland so here it's 600 euros but it's pretty much the same pricing) and get a new mouse,keyboard and screen. I haven't looked into computers since 2007 so my first thought was that i could build a great pc for 600$. By the standards of 2007 yeah you can build a great pc. However by the standards of today it's just not gonna cut it. I pretty much scrapped that order list and started focusing my whole budget in the pc itself. That's how I came up with the build above.

As for Haswell I saw some test with the prototypes being compared with Ivy bridge and in some cases ivy bridge was better. So it only seems usefull if you are using the integrated graphics. I thought DDR4 would come with Skylake? Oh wel i'm just a newbie so I don't know about that.

The budget that I kinda made for the computer was 800$ this quickly went up to 900$. I don't mind spending more on a computer but it's going to have to be a good reason to do it. For example if I want to buy an i5 but you guys say I will be needing an i7 i'm going to need a good reason for it. So the budget will be kinda in the midlle 850$ as I said I want it to be aple to run drawing programs and simulations which really use alot of RAM and processing. But i thought the i5 would be fine considering it's a quad. I also wanted the ability to overclock so that's why I chose the 3570k otherwise I kinda like the price of the 3350P because I don't need the integrated graphics anyway. Let's just say i have to be able to run 3 program's that use alot of resources and when i'm in the mood play crysis 3 or whatever. I don't actually play it but it's a good example.

Kind Regards and thank you for you replies.