Display Crash

Irroht

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I just got a new computer but it has a problem of constantly crashing when I view videos in fullscreen doesn't really happen instantly but happens often but also happens in regular size but much less frequently. Doesn't happen when I'm playing games but does happen when I browse the internet with the game in the background. The crash just suddenly happens and the screen turns in some random color, sometimes striped and sometimes in full color. When it crashes I can sometimes hear the video for awhile but sometimes a weird sound comes. I always have to reboot the computer by pushing the turn off/on button. I sent it for repairs but for some reason they didn't find the crash after stress testing and some other things, they updated the browsers and drivers (if there were any) and told me to check if it works and it didn't. So I decided to ask around.
The display driver is AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, do tell if you need more information on the computer, don't really know much about computers by the way so any help at all would be very much appreciated.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Try uninstalling your graphics drivers/reinstalling.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/246041/how_to_uninstall_drivers_in_windows.html
Showing how to uninstall. Or you can use a program like Guru3d's driversweeper.

Also do as Alvine said and make sure flash is updated and also check your temps like Wanderer said.

On a side note... Why do computer repair shops always seem to be so under qualified :/... and never fix simple issues. Wasn't Best Buy was it?

Irroht

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Which driver version, driver packaging, catalyst, 2d, direct3rd, opengl, catalyst control center, amd audio? If its driver packaging version then its 9.002-120928m-148276C-ATI.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Check your flash version as well. Control panel > Flash > Advanced (tab) and it shows plug-in / activex version. Should be in the range of 11.3-11.5 depending on the browser type.

What browser are you using?

Irroht

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
The above one is wrong for some reason i cant edit or remove so ill have to repost i have 11,5,31,5 installed according to the check now which isn't the newest, ill download that one and well see if its the cause of the crashes ive been having.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
If your using Google Chrome, sometimes the built it flash will conflict with Adobe's flash. No to mention Pepper flash causes videos on my Laptop to crash out and do weird things so I had to manualy install Adobe's flash.

Just a suggestion

Irroht

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Well no display crashes yet, seems it might have been chrome, any way to fix it? Because i do love chrome, if not any ideas on good browsers similar to chrome?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Just time. It's basically up to (google) Chrome to fix their built in flash issues.
Right now im using firefox and IE for all my video streaming, have it hooked up to my tv. Firefox had a rough patch with crashes a while back too when they decided to do an updated every other day :/...

Irroht

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Seems like the crash is still there even if im using another browser, but happens much less then when im using chrome. Any ideas what my next step should be? Also i noticed it happens even when im not watching videos and am just browsing some sites.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

What browser did you try? I would use IE as your test. In my experience it's the most stable right now with flash. Also make sure your flash is updated. Should be at like 11.3 or somewhere along those lines. (haven't looked in a while)

*edit* Just noticed I already told you about updated, what I get for being off the forums for a while :/. I'll re read the thread in a bit and offer difference advice :D

Irroht

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I used mozilla firefox, but it happens much less then chrome and hasn't really happened when i was viewing videos, it happens when I just browse the internet, as soon or with a small delay as I go to a new page or something like that, sometimes the crash has full random color or it has multiple lines.

Irroht

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Would really appreciate more advises, this is really getting ridiculous and happens several times a day while browsing the internet or by using some website that utilizes flash players such as games, for some reason it hasn't happened when I am viewing videos in mozilla. I am using adobe flash 11.5.502.146 on firefox.

G

Just send you a message.

I think I'm having the same issue as you, what motherboard are you using? Doesn't happen to be the AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 with the most recent firmware? I'm using Chrome, but the problem occurs in all the browsers I have installed.

I've been playing Far Cry 3 non-stop for the past 3 days problem free, but whenever I open up a YouTube video for 5 minutes my system freezes, sounds like it's about to blue screen then I'm forced to reboot by holding in the power/restart button.