hi. please help. frustrating crash to desktop issue.

crash issue -

basic system specs:
p4 2.4ghz
1gb pc3200 400mhz ram
ati radeon 9200 128 agp

i have the latest drivers and i have allrefreshrates from 1 to 0 among
many other fixes
ive tried

for 2 years ive had this PC - quake 2 i used to play - it never crashed -
i installed battlefield - it woudl crash to desktop after 10 mins
playing(this is b4 ram and harddrive updates ive made).

now i own half life 2, doom 3, bfV, bf1942, CS: Source, CS:CZ, CoD, CoD
UD, and still quake 2
and every one of them crash to desktop (the odd time reboot pc) like 20
mins into gameplay.
the error i recieve is: ______.exe has experience an error and has to
close. sorry for the inconvenience.

also...

in the last week all of a sudden - never changed anything - i get an error
at random (not often) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something no a blue
screen.....

anyway i purchased a new motherboard and a 6800 GT 256mb agp video card,
in hopes to resolve the problem and upgrade. but i havent recieved them
yet.

will they fix my problem - what else may be my problem?

ive heard things like it can be my sound card, video card, motherbaord,
heat???
6 answers Last reply
More about help frustrating crash desktop issue

    Hi Reserved,

    If this is a new error, try restoring your system back to when it worked.

    1. How to use Windows XP System Restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

    2. If you've been unable to see the exact error due to a system restart then
    To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
    Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
    labelled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.

    3. To analyse the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    4. If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
    the most likely solution would be to install the latest drivers using
    the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

    5. Otherwise, here's how to troubleshoot IRQL errors (scroll down this page):
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/guide/troubleshoot.asp

    6. And here are the Microsoft Articles on those IRQL errors (complete list):
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Product=winxp&Queryc=IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL&Query=IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

    7. Hope this shines some light on the situation. If it seems like a lot of diagnosis,
    and I agree that it is, try a repair installation of Windows instead, test your RAM
    and update your drivers (step 4) to optimize your Windows XP installation. :-)
    --
    How To Repair Windows:
    Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows:

    Afterwards, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall,
    plug back into your Internet connection and install all Critical and
    Recommended updates from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

    That's about it. Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "reservedbcreater" <adamdumont1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | crash issue -
    |
    | basic system specs:
    | p4 2.4ghz
    | 1gb pc3200 400mhz ram
    | ati radeon 9200 128 agp
    |
    | i have the latest drivers and i have allrefreshrates from 1 to 0 among
    | many other fixes
    | ive tried
    |
    | for 2 years ive had this PC - quake 2 i used to play - it never crashed -
    | i installed battlefield - it woudl crash to desktop after 10 mins
    | playing(this is b4 ram and harddrive updates ive made).
    |
    | now i own half life 2, doom 3, bfV, bf1942, CS: Source, CS:CZ, CoD, CoD
    | UD, and still quake 2
    | and every one of them crash to desktop (the odd time reboot pc) like 20
    | mins into gameplay.
    | the error i recieve is: ______.exe has experience an error and has to
    | close. sorry for the inconvenience.
    |
    | also...
    |
    | in the last week all of a sudden - never changed anything - i get an error
    | at random (not often) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something no a blue
    | screen.....
    |
    | anyway i purchased a new motherboard and a 6800 GT 256mb agp video card,
    | in hopes to resolve the problem and upgrade. but i havent recieved them
    | yet.
    |
    | will they fix my problem - what else may be my problem?
    |
    | ive heard things like it can be my sound card, video card, motherbaord,
    | heat???

    it is not a new error- the games have never worked
    theyve always crashed after 30 mins
    i added from 128 to 1 gig of ram in novemember - and it didnt change
    anyhting

    the new error is the irq

    it is not a new error- the games have never worked
    theyve always crashed after 30 mins
    i added from 128 to 1 gig of ram in novemember - and it didnt change
    anyhting

    the new error is the irq
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi,

    I had exactly the same problem with MS Flight Simulator. I'm still testing,
    but it was either bad RAM or too much RAM, because I replaced my 2GB with
    512MB.

    Try testing you RAM, you've got nothing to use. There is a freeware utility
    called MemTest which you could use.

    HTH

    "reservedbcreater" <adamdumont1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > crash issue -
    >
    > basic system specs:
    > p4 2.4ghz
    > 1gb pc3200 400mhz ram
    > ati radeon 9200 128 agp
    >
    > i have the latest drivers and i have allrefreshrates from 1 to 0 among
    > many other fixes
    > ive tried
    >
    > for 2 years ive had this PC - quake 2 i used to play - it never crashed -
    > i installed battlefield - it woudl crash to desktop after 10 mins
    > playing(this is b4 ram and harddrive updates ive made).
    >
    > now i own half life 2, doom 3, bfV, bf1942, CS: Source, CS:CZ, CoD, CoD
    > UD, and still quake 2
    > and every one of them crash to desktop (the odd time reboot pc) like 20
    > mins into gameplay.
    > the error i recieve is: ______.exe has experience an error and has to
    > close. sorry for the inconvenience.
    >
    > also...
    >
    > in the last week all of a sudden - never changed anything - i get an error
    > at random (not often) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something no a blue
    > screen.....
    >
    > anyway i purchased a new motherboard and a 6800 GT 256mb agp video card,
    > in hopes to resolve the problem and upgrade. but i havent recieved them
    > yet.
    >
    > will they fix my problem - what else may be my problem?
    >
    > ive heard things like it can be my sound card, video card, motherbaord,
    > heat???

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi,

    Step one (System Restore) was for new errors.
    Since it's not a new error, continue troubleshooting from step 2.

    --

    > it is not a new error- the games have never worked
    > theyve always crashed after 30 mins
    > i added from 128 to 1 gig of ram in novemember - and it didnt change
    > anyhting
    >
    > the new error is the irq

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Again,

    > it is not a new error- the games have never worked
    > theyve always crashed after 30 mins
    > i added from 128 to 1 gig of ram in novemember - and it didnt change
    > anyhting
    >
    > the new error is the irq

    Step one (System Restore) was for new errors.
    Since it's not a new error, continue troubleshooting from step 2.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Windows XP