Sign in with
Your question

Making a video of opening new hardware boxes

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2013 1:50:31 PM

I've read a lot of threads talking about receiving damaged motherboards etc where the manufacturer didn't want to replace since they claimed it was damaged by the user (i.e. bent pins on an LGA1155 socket). I am considering recording the entire process of opening all of my hardware when I take it out of the box. If there is any damage then I will have some sort of proof that it came that way.

Has anyone else done something like this? Did having a video/pictures of the hardware just out of the box make a difference when having to RMA? Am I just being paranoid?

This is my first post here - thank you for your help and especially your patience with a new user!!
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 2:00:17 PM

In the future I intend to take video of my own unboxings, specifically of the MOBO because they can be pretty iffy about the socket pins and stuff. The motherboard is generally the hardest part to get RMA'd because it is the one you can obviously screw up yourself, so it can't hurt to take a recording to prove everything was in tip-top shape when you started or to prove there was damage not caused by you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 2:25:24 PM

Luckily Ive never had issues with replacing damaged components. It's always been a "send it in" kinda of thing with no hassles. I don't think recording is a bad idea, although I am skeptical about if they would even be willing to look at the evidence.

God forbid you have to return something (and have issues) but if you do I'd like to know the results :p .
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 2:31:24 PM

I don't think you should have to submit it with your RMA, I would use it if they refused to RMA, and tell them I have video evidence that I did not cause any of the damage. At that point they pretty much would have to examine it or replace your product.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 2:49:18 PM

chugot9218 said:
I don't think you should have to submit it with your RMA, I would use it if they refused to RMA, and tell them I have video evidence that I did not cause any of the damage. At that point they pretty much would have to examine it or replace your product.

I'm just wondering if they will. Or if they'll say sure send it to XXXX@w/e.com and it magically falls into the Bit bucket :p .

Have you been refused an RMA on a product Chugot? If so mind saying what and which company?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 3:03:12 PM

No I haven't, but I have read plenty of horror stories on here of people being accused of damaging socket pins and such, and being refused RMA's from a variety of companies. Especially with the availability of recording devices and storage space I don't see any reason not to record your unboxing, like I said, time stamped evidence is rather hard to dispute, and proving that the pins were damaged before opening even with the plastic cover and such would be difficult without evidence.
m
l
!