System wont post please help

my414

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
have recently built a new computer and I have had it set up for about a week and I was interested in overclocking. I noticed that some of the options to overclock were greyed out in the bios from the factory.
Motherboard: MSI z77a-gd65
cpu: i5-3570k

I found out online that I needed to update the bios to the newest version which required a flash.
I put the update on my flashdrive and I initiated the flashing process in the bios.
It took a few minutes to reach 95% and it was almost done; it made it to about 97% and the entire computer shut off for reasons I do not know.
This was a completely stable system and it was odd for it to do this. When I powered it back on it told me that my bios has failed and that I should initiate a process that would bring it back to normal working condition.
I started this and after another few minutes red text showed up telling me to reboot my computer; this was odd for it was at 0% complete but I did what it said.
I went to turn it back on and now the computer will not post or show anything on the screen. I even tried switching to the perfectly fine bios B but that did the same thing.
The computer will turn on for about half a second then power down and turn on a few seconds later to repeat the process.
I am not sure why it is doing this but I believe that my board is now bricked.
I sent an rma request to msi about this problem but I have not gotten an email back yet.

I would like to have your input on what went wrong and what do you think I should do.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
And did you by any chance, flush the first bios,after the flash with a short of the jumper pins of the board to fully allow the update to complete, and clear out any old data. ?
NO. Well you should.

Put simply the second bios makes a duplicate of the first.
Now if you flash the first bios, you have to flush it so the other bios makes a duplicate of it.
Two bios revisions obviously wont work will they, since there is a change in the data.
Conflict my dear friend.
You see just because you do a bios firmware update does not mean it works right off the bat.

There can still be data left that needs to bee flushed in what we call the boot block of the bios, to complete the update, a short of the bios pins needs to be done after the flash.