Hard drive dus not start in combination with ssd

josk-16

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello,
For some time ago I upgraded my PC with a Crucial SSD. I put the OS on the SSD and document etc on the hard drive ALL on SATA
When my PC starts up windows does not see the hard drives anymore. When switch to hybernate and on again the harddrives come up and can be used.
If the harddrives are not up I hear a click as if the system is trying to startup the dirves once every 2 a 3 seconds.

djosbun

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

Did you check and make sure the SATA and/or power cables to the drives didn't come lose, or pop off completely? I had the same problem recently in a new build and it was because one of the power cables came lose.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go into Control Panel/Power Options/Change plan settings/Change advanced power settings

Click on the entry for Hard disk, then Turn off hard disk after. Set to 0 (zero). This will keep the HDD from spinning down and should help with your issue.

Be sure to apply the change after making it.

Personally, I would turn off hibernation and sleep modes as well. Too many headaches, like what you are experiencing with those features. Just power the system off when not using or let your power management features take care of things when the system is running.

Good luck!