Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My Ultra Computer Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 31, 2013 9:05:59 AM

This is the Specs of my new Gaming build!!!!

Intel Core i7 3770K New Ivy Bridge Processor LGA1155, 3.4Ghz (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz), Unlock for OverClocking

Cooler Master Storm Scout II Black, Gamng Mid-tower, No PSU, USB 3.0 x 2 (int.), USB 2.0 x 2,

850W "Corsair" TX-850v2 ATX Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, 4x PCI-E, 8x SATA, 8x Molex, 5 Year Warranty

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler - (LGA 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+) RR-TX3E-28PK-R1

Asus P8Z77-V MotherBoard, Socket 1155, Intel Z77 Chipset, 4x DDR3, SATA3, USB3.0, WiFi, GbLAN, 8 CH, D-Sub, VGA, DP, HDMI, Quad-GPU CrossfireX/SLI, ATX

Kingston KVR16N11/8 8GB Single 1600Mhz DDR3 Desktop Memory

Leadtek Graphics Card, GTX 680 PCI-E 3.0 4GB 256-bit DDR5, Base: 1006 Boost: 1058 / 6008 MHz, 2x DVI, HDMI, DP, Fan,

WD CAVIAR GREEN , 2TB, INTELIPOWER, 64MB, SATA III, 2YRS

What Do You Guys Think of this Build?!?!??!
Anything you would change?!?!?

More about : ultra computer build

January 31, 2013 11:28:50 AM

I'd go with an i5-3570k. You won't need the hyper-threading of the i7-3770k. Just wasting your money, really. With the i5, you will save over $100 and will never know the difference.

I'd put some of that money into a WD Black / Blue 1TB HDD, and lose the low-RPM Green one. Maybe throw in a 64-128GB solid state drive for the OS and frequently used / startup programs to be installed on.

You would also be better off getting a card like the Radeon HD 7970. It will run similarly to the GTX 680, but the Gigabyte version (I recommend) costs only $380, as opposed to $460. If you are running on 1920x1080, the 2-10FPS advantage of the GTX 680 will go to waste by being over 60FPS.

And unless there is something special you plan on doing with it that only that motherboard can handle, I'd recommend the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. That will save you another $50 or so.

All of these changes will yield results that are almost exactly the same as the ones you picked, but you will save a lot of money. I'd suggest getting that SSD with the money you save, as that will actually show some significant performance boosts. All of my prices were found via Amazon, so shop around and see if you can find lower ones elsewhere.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 11:47:29 AM

Quote:
I'd go with an i5-3570k. You won't need the hyper-threading of the i7-3770k. Just wasting your money, really. With the i5, you will save over $100 and will never know the difference.

I'd put some of that money into a WD Black / Blue 1TB HDD, and lose the low-RPM Green one. Maybe throw in a 64-128GB solid state drive for the OS and frequently used / startup programs to be installed on.

You would also be better off getting a card like the Radeon HD 7970. It will run similarly to the GTX 680, but the Gigabyte version (I recommend) costs only $380, as opposed to $460. If you are running on 1920x1080, the 2-10FPS advantage of the GTX 680 will go to waste by being over 60FPS.

And unless there is something special you plan on doing with it that only that motherboard can handle, I'd recommend the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. That will save you another $50 or so.

All of these changes will yield results that are almost exactly the same as the ones you picked, but you will save a lot of money. I'd suggest getting that SSD with the money you save, as that will actually show some significant performance boosts. All of my prices were found via Amazon, so shop around and see if you can find lower ones elsewhere.


I agree with everything you said but i have used nvidia in all my build and it's kind of something i have to use. Also i plan on video editing thats why i chose the i7 and also the 2tb is cheap from my store. But thanks for the advice.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 7:12:39 PM

Quote:
I agree with everything you said but i have used nvidia in all my build and it's kind of something i have to use. Also i plan on video editing thats why i chose the i7 and also the 2tb is cheap from my store. But thanks for the advice.

No problem! Just to be clear, are you talking about home video editing or professional video editing? The i5 will be fine for video editing as well, unless you are talking about professional video editing. More importantly, which programs are you speaking of using?

And the reason I say to avoid the 2TB is because it will be slow. It has a low RPM and could bottleneck some of your computer's performance.

If you want to stick with NVidia, the GTX 670 will lock in 60 FPS on pretty near everything for a single 1920x1080 monitor, even Metro 2033 on max settings. It is around the same cost as the HD 7970.

In the end, get whatever floats your boat. I'm just trying to save you some money without cutting any corners. ;) 
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 11:11:38 PM

I will be useing software that will better perform with hyperthreading.
Also the gtx 680 4gb (sli is soon going to be in this build) is for games like Bf3, Fc3, Sc2 and newer games such Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light on ultra.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 11:18:21 PM

Quote:
I will be useing software that will better perform with hyperthreading.
Also the gtx 680 4gb (sli is soon going to be in this build) is for games like Bf3, Fc3, Sc2 and newer games such Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light on ultra.

All of those will run 60 FPS+ on the 670 on a standard single-monitor setup. I can't say for Crysis 3 and Last Light, but perhaps the 680 will be what you need for those.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 11:38:40 PM

Quote:
All of those will run 60 FPS+ on the 670 on a standard single-monitor setup. I can't say for Crysis 3 and Last Light, but perhaps the 680 will be what you need for those.

Yeah thats what i was thinking for Crysis 3 but dont know perhaps when i sli them :kaola: 
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 2:34:16 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 3:09:59 AM

One 680 is MORE than enough to run Crysis 3 on Ultra. The beta is out and I can almost run it on the highest graphics settings with my 7770 2GB.
m
0
l
!