Closed Solved

7750 xfx - all signs point to GPU failure but pass hardware tests

3-month old 7750 Graphics Card -GSOD/buzzing with 3d video/gaming
For the past few months I've been plagued with video problems...

In July, RIGHT AFTER my warranty expired with dell my 4850 HD died.

I bought a 7750 HD XFX and was quite happy for about a month. Made sure I driver-sweeped the old drivers and kept the catalyst/drivers up to date and have been left with a 95% EXCELLENT quality of video AND 5% GREY SCREEN OF DEATH/BUZZING problem.

It also has problems switching audio when I switch from my monitor to flatscreen with HDMI. It occasionally detects the audio easily when i hit "windows key" + p and occasionally will not. I recently got an error saying something to the effect that my HDMI output wasn't working correctly and haven't been able to reproduce that error. However, I did sweep my Realtek audio drivers, installed new ones, updated my chipset (which I just realized needed updating tonight), and I still got a GSOD. I have pictures and video, but am unsure how to upload easily to this forum.

My GPU passes all stress tests (Furmark, etc.), all dell PC dr. hardware tests, and I have the Ultimate Boot Cd and tried running some memory tests... no problems so far...

Like I said for the most part I am very happy with my machine, except the GSOD which rears its head about 1/3 of the time I watch a movie using VLC, WMP or Netflix/Hulu or whatever online flash based player. It does not necessarily happen when the GPU heats up or works for a while.

It ALWAYS freezes when I do certain things like walk in areas with high smoke/fog rendering in Skyrim. It ALWAYS seems to involve audio and video.

Any and all help would be *GREATLY appreciated*!

Thanks-- I'll try to provide as much info as I can if I left anything important out...
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7750 signs point failure pass hardware tests
  1. Sounds like the problem is the HD7750 itself. I would exchange t (if still under warranty) or replace it.
  2. I was afraid that was the response I'd get.

I fear you're right but is there any other possible cause?

The GSOD only occurs when I switch to my TV using a 15' hdmi cable.

Although it still happens regardless of using flash WMP etc. I SEEM to have solved the skyrim problems.

I never really get this problem when using my monitor. HOWEVER, I never watch movies on my monitor either...
  3. Best answer
    Switching displays shouldn't do this. If temps are good and drivers current (along with Windows being up to date), it really does sounds like a suspect video card.
  4. Best answer selected by Mrjfrederick.
  5. Ok- I put in a service ticket with XFX. Thanks for helping to confirm!

(it does really normally work like a dream so you can't blame me for trying!!)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Video Graphics