Sign in with
Your question

GPU TDP Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2012 4:14:50 PM

hi, im having this really though issue of FPS drops for one second at a time every couple of minutes.
i tried everything even opened up a thread here : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/382613-33-tomshardwar...

in an effort to test i entered a game and monitored the GPU stats in-game. what i found out was that when i get this lag
the only thing that changes is the TDP of the GPU which goes from 98% to 37% than back up.
everything else is the same even the gpu clocks.
like i mentioned in the previous thread, it's also happening in minimum graphics settings.

tha'ts led me to beleive that maybe it's a PSU prbolem.
my specs are:
i5 3470
GigaBYTE gtx 660
b75-d3h
1 tb seagate hdd
430w seasonic PSU.

i have only 2 fans, nothing special and on top loads my system is needs to take no more than 300W.

ive checked almost everything from drivers to TEMP. do you think it could be that the PSU is choking my GPU?
vefore i purchased the system they clarified that as long as i don't overload my system with ssd's,SLI,OC , i should be fine and
that this PSU is more than ebough.

UPDATE: it's not just the TDP. when the lag occurs the GPU core load and Memory load drops to 0 for a split second.

i really need your help it's driving me crazy...

thank you

More about : gpu tdp problem

a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 5:07:40 PM

i wonder if you have enough power is that psu new? i had to guess on some stuff, like if you had a dvd drive how many sticks of ram you have and how many devices you have connected usb but i have you at around 325 watt so you should be good. fill out the page on this site to double check. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
December 17, 2012 5:52:34 PM

the great randini said:
i wonder if you have enough power is that psu new? i had to guess on some stuff, like if you had a dvd drive how many sticks of ram you have and how many devices you have connected usb but i have you at around 325 watt so you should be good. fill out the page on this site to double check. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

thanks for replying.
yes it's a new seasonic PSU.
i have 2 sticks of 4gb each, and no optical drive. im gettin
Minimum PSU Wattage: 348 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 398W

is that OK?

Related resources
a c 200 U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 6:26:29 PM

it not the total whattage you need to lok at you need to look at the wattage of the 12v plus line. you have to add the cpu wattage and gpu wattage together. then divide by 12 for the amps. the other issue too could be the gpu hitting the thermal limit of the gpu and is clocking down to cool the gpu chip off. may want to try and turn down some of the eye candy so that the gpu not slamed so hard.
December 17, 2012 6:37:25 PM

smorizio said:
it not the total whattage you need to lok at you need to look at the wattage of the 12v plus line. you have to add the cpu wattage and gpu wattage together. then divide by 12 for the amps. the other issue too could be the gpu hitting the thermal limit of the gpu and is clocking down to cool the gpu chip off. may want to try and turn down some of the eye candy so that the gpu not slamed so hard.

my PSU 12v line says 360W. is that enough for Gigabyte GTX 660 + i5 3470?

my gpu max temp on load is 60c which is good. also when i get the lags the GPU and Memory load hits 0 for a split second then come back but the GPU clock is constant 1123MHZ on load
December 17, 2012 7:49:14 PM

please im really desperate here. even on the lowest settings when my GPU is on 50% usage it still drops for a sec to 0. please help!
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 8:21:51 PM

whem your gpu load drops does some other process skyrocket?
December 17, 2012 8:30:20 PM

popatim said:
whem your gpu load drops does some other process skyrocket?

no, i even tried to close all other unrequited processes.
i really hope it's not the PSU because i can't replace it and the techs who assembled my PC said it's more than ok
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 9:55:42 PM

The GPU TDP drop would be from the sudden load drop on the card.

Everything else looks fine. I do not see you running out or ram or anything like that.

This is on ALL games?

For those who did not get the file linked above, here is some of it in chart form. You can see a drop in everything when the games lag out.

Long time ago(a64 single core days) I had something similar with a bad bios(it was actually related to the VIA SATA ports on my board. The promise ports did not do it). It also made the sound skip at the same time. Maybe try to disable sound for the hell of it. Ensure ALL your drivers are up to date(and the bios if you feel up to it).

As far as the power supply goes, I think you should have more then enough.
December 17, 2012 10:01:03 PM

is the whole computer new? or just the psu?
December 17, 2012 10:02:21 PM

jonjonjon said:
is the whole computer new? or just the psu?

everything is new.
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 10:04:25 PM

You may want to check the event viewer(you can just start search "event viewer") to see if anything is flagging an error.
December 17, 2012 10:07:20 PM

nukemaster said:
The GPU TDP drop would be from the sudden load drop on the card.

Everything else looks fine. I do not see you running out or ram or anything like that.

This is on ALL games?

For those who did not get the file linked above, here is some of it in chart form. You can see a drop in everything when the games lag out.
http://i48.tinypic.com/30roh8h.png

Long time ago(a64 single core days) I had something similar with a bad bios. It also made the sound skip at the same time. Maybe try to disable sound for the hell of it. Ensure ALL your drivers are up to date(and the bios if you feel up to it).

As far as the power supply goes, I think you should have more then enough.

thx for the help. actually i heard someone say disabling the realtec audio driver could fix it but it didn't work for me.

currently im experiencing it in Far Cry 3 (even low settings) and The Walking dead (really low demanding my GPU is running 30%).

weirdly, in BF3 Ultra Settings i sometimes have it but mostly when i reach a checkpoint.
December 17, 2012 10:24:45 PM

nukemaster said:
You may want to check the event viewer(you can just start search "event viewer") to see if anything is flagging an error.

hi, the motherboard bios is the latest version so are all other drivers. i just checked Event viewer and didn't see any errors.

a c 107 U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 10:30:47 PM

For the hell of it, Have you tried the latest BETA drivers(310.70 last i checked)?

Those drivers fixed some power management bugs(full out speed when watching videos in media center) I was noticing on my 650 ti card
December 17, 2012 10:46:43 PM

nukemaster said:
For the hell of it, Have you tried the latest BETA drivers(310.70 last i checked)?

Those drivers fixed some power management bugs(full out speed when watching videos in media center) I was noticing on my 650 ti card

yeah ive got them installed (they are official WHQL as of yesterday), improved FPS but still same problem.
ive noticed that when im using Directx 11 instead of 9 the lags are less frequent but still every couple of minutes.
probably because Directx11 is more demanding which makes me think maybe it IS a hardware issue but can't pin point.
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 12:19:14 AM

I hate to say I am out of ideas.

It is almost to a point that you may have to try to disable running software and enable it one at a time.

I do not have the same games to test on my 650 ti(and its a different core from the normal 650s)

This just does not seem normal, and not at this frequency either.
December 18, 2012 12:24:42 AM

nukemaster said:
I hate to say I am out of ideas.

It is almost to a point that you may have to try to disable running software and enable it one at a time.

I do not have the same games to test on my 650 ti(and its a different core from the normal 650s)

This just does not seem normal, and not at this frequency either.

thanks alot anyway. by the way, i just ran prime95 + furmark gpu stress test. i monitored the temps and GPU + CPU loads
and the CPU was at 99% usage for 15 minutes on prime with no drops.

the GPU on furmark was also on 99% and on 109% TDP and no drops.

does that GUARANTEE that it's not a PSU problem?
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 12:38:46 AM

PSU problems can happen at higher temps, but in general nothing hurts a system like furmarks. OR OCCT's power supply test(its like furmarks and intel burn test at the same time).

What power supply is it anyway?
December 18, 2012 12:42:41 AM

nukemaster said:
PSU problems can happen at higher temps, but in general nothing hurts a system like furmarks. OR OCCT's power supply test(its like furmarks and intel burn test at the same time).

What power supply is it anyway?

like i mentioned Seasonic 430W. should i run the OOCT power supply test?
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 1:01:07 AM

Sorry, getting too many threads open at once.

You can run it if you want. It sure will load things to the max.

Gets my i7 2600k @ 4.4 + 5870 up over 350 watts(good 100 watts more then any games I play). See how little power non multi gpu systems take :) 
December 18, 2012 1:03:52 AM

nukemaster said:
Sorry, getting too many threads open at once.

You can run it if you want. It sure will load things to the max.

Gets my i7 2600k @ 4.4 + 5870 up over 350 watts(good 100 watts more then any games I play). See how little power non multi gpu systems take :) 

yeah im kinda afraid my PSU will get damaged. i ran IBT + Furmark simultaneously, isn't that enough to be sure that my PSU is running things just fine?
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 1:09:16 AM

I do not think it would damage it, but yeah, with those 2 you should be covered.

what OCCT does it it gives one thread to keep the video card stress going and uses the others to stress the cpu.

I highly doubt it is the psu only because seasonic makes VERY good power supplies.
December 18, 2012 1:15:44 AM

nukemaster said:
I do not think it would damage it, but yeah, with those 2 you should be covered.

what OCCT does it it gives one thread to keep the video card stress going and uses the others to stress the cpu.

I highly doubt it is the psu only because seasonic makes VERY good power supplies.

yeah, that's what they told me. the lag can happen even when im just 10 seconds in to the game and the CPU doesn't even hit 90%.
i have just tested my hdd (long shot) but i don't believe the hdd could be the cause.
thanks for the help!, you were probably the last hope ):
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 1:19:19 AM

When the lag happens, Does your hard drive go nuts(LED get light up)?

Wonder if something is loading and the hard drive is holding back.

It is not a green or low power drive right.
December 18, 2012 1:22:27 AM

nukemaster said:
When the lag happens, Does your hard drive go nuts(LED get light up)?

Wonder if something is loading and the hard drive is holding back.

It is not a green or low power drive right.

no, it's Seagate barracuda 1TB. pretty good drive.
i did HD tune read benchmark and as far as i can tell it's working fine.

by the way, if it's a HDD issue, why would the CPU + GPU usage go down?
December 18, 2012 1:27:24 AM

dmd4ever said:
yeah, that's what they told me. the lag can happen even when im just 10 seconds in to the game and the CPU doesn't even hit 90%.
i have just tested my hdd (long shot) but i don't believe the hdd could be the cause.
thanks for the help!, you were probably the last hope ):

they do make good psu's but that doesn't mean they never have faulty psu's. there is also the possibly that the video card could be bad. do you or a friend have another computer that you could try the video card out.
December 18, 2012 1:31:32 AM

jonjonjon said:
they do make good psu's but that doesn't mean they never have faulty psu's. there is also the possibly that the video card could be bad. do you or a friend have another computer that you could try the video card out.

yeah but their overall system will be a bottleneck for testing. but i don't understand, i already tested my card with Xtreme Furmark test for 15 minutes with no drops whatsoever, shouldn't that be enough to say my card is stable?
December 18, 2012 1:47:02 AM

then whats the problem then?
December 18, 2012 1:50:18 AM

jonjonjon said:
then whats the problem then?

i wrote the problem on both threads. im getting FPS drops in most games for a sec like freezes every couple of minutes. if you look at the graph above you will see the problem - GPU and CPU usage goes to 0 for a split second with no reason! (with IBT + PRIME95 + Furmark everything is fine)
December 18, 2012 1:52:26 AM

you need to try narrowing it down. did you build this yourself or buy it already built?

if you are really desperate reinstall windows.
December 18, 2012 1:54:59 AM

jonjonjon said:
you need to try narrowing it down. did you build this yourself or buy it already built?

i decided on the parts but the company who sold it to me assembled the build
December 18, 2012 2:02:08 AM

try downloading process monitor and see if another process is causing it to freeze. do you know anyone else who has a psu you can borrow to test? so you can rule that out. run memtest86 to test your memory. try reinstall windows. just some suggestions.
December 18, 2012 2:11:36 AM

Quote:
try downloading process monitor and see if another process is causing it to freeze. do you know anyone else who has a psu you can borrow to test? so you can rule that out. run memtest86 to test your memory. try reinstall windows. just some suggestions.

thanks for helping. you see, my wiring and case is arranged in a certain way and for me to take out the psu and replace it i will need to be sure or at least somewhat positive that's the problem. like i said, i ran massively demanding tests simultaneously and no drops or anything. furthermore, the problem happens on minimum quality settings that even my GPU is on 45% usage and i still get the problem.
im not trying to dismiss you, im just trying to understand how can it be the PSU if all of the above tests were fine and the problem exists even on lowest settings?

already ran memtest and killed all unrelated processes
December 18, 2012 2:36:17 AM

has it ever worked? do you have this problem on every game or just a few?
December 18, 2012 2:50:14 AM

jonjonjon said:
has it ever worked? do you have this problem on every game or just a few?

actually i didn't pay it any attention because i waited for the patches for FC3 but they didn't do anything.
it's also happening in The Walking dead which is very low graphics and no open spaces (mots of the game is cutscenes).
in Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings it's rarely happening. (only on checkpoints).

these are all i have installed at the moment. Batman:Arkham city also had lags but that could be attributed to poor optimization cause a lot of people had problems with that
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:09:08 AM

The reason I had mentioned the hard drive(The barracuda line actually includes many drives including a green and LP version, I use 2 LP drives for file storage, but would not want to game off them :)  ), was that if your game has to load stuff or make a check point, it may pause while waiting on the hard drive. any pause in a game will actually drop the load on a game.

This is a very generic problem with many things that CAN cause it, but many seem to not be the issue.

Your cpu load drop sort of rules out a background app taking cpu power, but does not rule out a poor driver or software taking interrupt time or countless other software/hardware issues that can happen on a system.
December 18, 2012 3:27:37 AM

jonjonjon said:
seems like other people are having problem with the walking dead freezing. since battlefield and furmark have no issues it seems like it could just be a problem with the games. im out of ideas. if you don't want to try reinstalling windows or swapping out hardware im not sure what else you could do.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/622432-the-walking-dead-...

i can also find people with FPS drops on FC3, you can find everything on google but it's weird that the problem is on several games not just one.
if all else fails ill have to reinstall windows but that's a bummer too cause we wouldn't know the actual cause (if reinstalling will actually solve it which im very doubted)
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:32:27 AM

I would see what other games you have, try all kinds of things like games and other benchmarks and see if they do the same thing. Maybe it is just a poorly codes game.

Only other thing I would say try would be to mess with the Nvidia control panel settings.
Try to see if Adaptive Vertical sync helps any?
try to turn Thread optimization OFF?
Maybe try with Triple Buffering?(this uses more memory and fixes frame rate issues, but not the same type).

Not like I have not seen games do strange things City Of Villains(and New City Of Heroes maps) had all kinds of freezing when loading textures on the fly.
December 18, 2012 3:39:15 AM

nukemaster said:
I would see what other games you have, try all kinds of things like games and other benchmarks and see if they do the same thing. Maybe it is just a poorly codes game.

Only other thing I would say try would be to mess with the Nvidia control panel settings.
Try to see if Adaptive Vertical sync helps any?
try to turn Thread optimization OFF?
Maybe try with Triple Buffering?(this uses more memory and fixes frame rate issues, but not the same type).

Not like I have not seen games do strange things City Of Villains(and New City Of Heroes maps) had all kinds of freezing when loading textures on the fly.

yeah ive tries all the v-sync\triple buffering options, even went without v-sync and with frame limiter. i just checked the log from the walking dead and it's very strange and worse than any other game. the GPU is on 27% usage and the CPU is lower
but still i get every minute a drop to 0 (not just one line). it feels like it's random there are no explosions or big scenes.

by the way, i get 6882 on my grpahics score in 3dmark which is normal for my card
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:41:33 PM

What version of 3dmarks?

Also what did you use to record your stats? I use GPU-Z but it does not record nearly as much as what you used.
December 18, 2012 4:28:58 PM

nukemaster said:
What version of 3dmarks?

Also what did you use to record your stats? I use GPU-Z but it does not record nearly as much as what you used.

3dmark 11, Performance settings. for stats i use HWINFO64
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 4:32:02 PM

You seem to be in the right area. Did it do the pause thing on the benchmark?
December 18, 2012 4:37:52 PM

nukemaster said:
You seem to be in the right area. Did it do the pause thing on the benchmark?

haven't checked cause i got the best possible score for my card at stock speeds but ill check now
but i think the GPU CPU load supposed to go down to 0 in 3dmark between tests (loading screens)?
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 4:46:32 PM

Yes and in the CPU test the cpu will do ALL the work.

I was more interested if you see and pauses while watching it.
December 18, 2012 4:51:16 PM

nukemaster said:
Yes and in the CPU test the cpu will do ALL the work.

I was more interested if you see and pauses while watching it.

i didn't notice any drops, but then again every test is like 40 seconds so ill never know maybe ill run the demo it's quite long i think
December 18, 2012 5:20:07 PM

just ran the demo, no skipping/drops at all.
it can't be poor coding on the games because all my friends are playing them without any skips. weird
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 5:35:34 PM

they have similar hardware to you?
!