dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
hi, im having this really though issue of FPS drops for one second at a time every couple of minutes.
i tried everything even opened up a thread here : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/382613-33-tomshardware

in an effort to test i entered a game and monitored the GPU stats in-game. what i found out was that when i get this lag
the only thing that changes is the TDP of the GPU which goes from 98% to 37% than back up.
everything else is the same even the gpu clocks.
like i mentioned in the previous thread, it's also happening in minimum graphics settings.

tha'ts led me to beleive that maybe it's a PSU prbolem.
my specs are:
i5 3470
GigaBYTE gtx 660
b75-d3h
1 tb seagate hdd
430w seasonic PSU.

i have only 2 fans, nothing special and on top loads my system is needs to take no more than 300W.

ive checked almost everything from drivers to TEMP. do you think it could be that the PSU is choking my GPU?
vefore i purchased the system they clarified that as long as i don't overload my system with ssd's,SLI,OC , i should be fine and
that this PSU is more than ebough.

UPDATE: it's not just the TDP. when the lag occurs the GPU core load and Memory load drops to 0 for a split second.

i really need your help it's driving me crazy...

thank you

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

thanks for replying.
yes it's a new seasonic PSU.
i have 2 sticks of 4gb each, and no optical drive. im gettin
Minimum PSU Wattage: 348 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 398W

is that OK?

it not the total whattage you need to lok at you need to look at the wattage of the 12v plus line. you have to add the cpu wattage and gpu wattage together. then divide by 12 for the amps. the other issue too could be the gpu hitting the thermal limit of the gpu and is clocking down to cool the gpu chip off. may want to try and turn down some of the eye candy so that the gpu not slamed so hard.

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

my PSU 12v line says 360W. is that enough for Gigabyte GTX 660 + i5 3470?

my gpu max temp on load is 60c which is good. also when i get the lags the GPU and Memory load hits 0 for a split second then come back but the GPU clock is constant 1123MHZ on load

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
please im really desperate here. even on the lowest settings when my GPU is on 50% usage it still drops for a sec to 0. please help!

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

no, i even tried to close all other unrequited processes.
i really hope it's not the PSU because i can't replace it and the techs who assembled my PC said it's more than ok

The GPU TDP drop would be from the sudden load drop on the card.

Everything else looks fine. I do not see you running out or ram or anything like that.

This is on ALL games?

For those who did not get the file linked above, here is some of it in chart form. You can see a drop in everything when the games lag out.
30roh8h.png

Long time ago(a64 single core days) I had something similar with a bad bios(it was actually related to the VIA SATA ports on my board. The promise ports did not do it). It also made the sound skip at the same time. Maybe try to disable sound for the hell of it. Ensure ALL your drivers are up to date(and the bios if you feel up to it).

As far as the power supply goes, I think you should have more then enough.

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

thx for the help. actually i heard someone say disabling the realtec audio driver could fix it but it didn't work for me.

currently im experiencing it in Far Cry 3 (even low settings) and The Walking dead (really low demanding my GPU is running 30%).

weirdly, in BF3 Ultra Settings i sometimes have it but mostly when i reach a checkpoint.

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

hi, the motherboard bios is the latest version so are all other drivers. i just checked Event viewer and didn't see any errors.

For the hell of it, Have you tried the latest BETA drivers(310.70 last i checked)?

Those drivers fixed some power management bugs(full out speed when watching videos in media center) I was noticing on my 650 ti card

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

yeah ive got them installed (they are official WHQL as of yesterday), improved FPS but still same problem.
ive noticed that when im using Directx 11 instead of 9 the lags are less frequent but still every couple of minutes.
probably because Directx11 is more demanding which makes me think maybe it IS a hardware issue but can't pin point.

I hate to say I am out of ideas.

It is almost to a point that you may have to try to disable running software and enable it one at a time.

I do not have the same games to test on my 650 ti(and its a different core from the normal 650s)

This just does not seem normal, and not at this frequency either.

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

thanks alot anyway. by the way, i just ran prime95 + furmark gpu stress test. i monitored the temps and GPU + CPU loads
and the CPU was at 99% usage for 15 minutes on prime with no drops.

the GPU on furmark was also on 99% and on 109% TDP and no drops.

does that GUARANTEE that it's not a PSU problem?

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

like i mentioned Seasonic 430W. should i run the OOCT power supply test?

Sorry, getting too many threads open at once.

You can run it if you want. It sure will load things to the max.

Gets my i7 2600k @ 4.4 + 5870 up over 350 watts(good 100 watts more then any games I play). See how little power non multi gpu systems take :)

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

yeah im kinda afraid my PSU will get damaged. i ran IBT + Furmark simultaneously, isn't that enough to be sure that my PSU is running things just fine?

I do not think it would damage it, but yeah, with those 2 you should be covered.

what OCCT does it it gives one thread to keep the video card stress going and uses the others to stress the cpu.

I highly doubt it is the psu only because seasonic makes VERY good power supplies.

dmd4ever

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

yeah, that's what they told me. the lag can happen even when im just 10 seconds in to the game and the CPU doesn't even hit 90%.
i have just tested my hdd (long shot) but i don't believe the hdd could be the cause.
thanks for the help!, you were probably the last hope ):