No picture using VGA cable

HuntyBighead

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
So I just returned home from uni via train, lugging my tower down in a massive bag surrounded by clothes and whatever I could find in order to try and offer some sort of protection from any bumps. It's average getup so I'm restricted to a VGA cable. When I set everything up the picture displayed showing the startup however after the windows logo appeared the picture went AWOL along with it.

I'm currently using my mums laptop in order to find what may be wrong and I tested the cable and monitor using said laptop and the picture was displayed fine. What could I have done to my tower?

P.S sorry if in wrong category, couldnt really find a relevant sub category (using an AMD card)

popatim

Titan
One big mistake done repeatedly in moving or shippng pc's is that the user forgets about all the room inside the case. It doesnt take much bumping to dislodge a GPU or CPU with a large heatsink on it. Often these are easy to correct but the uninformed user plugs it in an turns it on first not realizing the further damage he might do. I never ship with cards or heatsinks installed anymore, not after watching the UPS guy throw a midtower I worked on for half a day 10 feet into the back of his truck.

Turn it off and open it up. Reseat all cards and the cpu even if they look fine. You will need to clean and reapply fresh thermal paste on the cpu. If anything fell off then reseat all cables also.

I hope you come thru this ok.

HuntyBighead

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

Wow I never realised that, luckily I just tried the other VGA port and it worked fine (I know I should've checked before). Thanks for the heads up anyway