Please help! - Low fps in games!

Chr0nos

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I need help , i don't know why , but ever since ive upgraded my pc (My old one couldn't even run cod 4) i have been getting terrible fps at games like Black Ops , NBA 2k13 , and also slow performance at games like L4D2 and TF2. I mostly need help for playing NBA 2k13. I am getting about 25-40 fps , with game booster 50 fps MAX. And also , very weird , when i minimize the game , refresh and then bring it back up my game starts going as smoooooooth as possible , like a 100 fps , but just for a short period of time. Im not sure what could it be , maybe a bottleneck cpu but my PC knowlage is VERY limited so here are my specs:

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5670 , GDDR5 memory type , size 1024 MBytes
CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 555
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3
Memory: 2048 Mbytes DDR3

As i said my knowlage is very limited so if you need any more information about my pc just ask away. Any help will be appreciated and simplyfing the answers as mutch as possible would be good too beacuse im not from the US and english is not my primary language (Sorry for any grammar issues).

Oh and cpu usage during NBA 2k13 is from 90 to 100% , memory usage is 1.52 GB. Also, getting any new hardware is not an option for my as i currently don't have the money (Well im planning on buying Kingston 2gb RAM DDR3 for about 10e but that's all i can afford right now). Thank you for reading this -Chr0nos.

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Yea you should definitely have a min of 4Gb of RAM...

On a side note, make sure your monitor is plugged into your video card, and not the motherboard's video output.

Chr0nos

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Ok , so about 4gb should be enough? http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/?partid=khx1600c9ad3/2g this one seems apropriate. What ram memory can you recommend me to buy (2gb and not to steep)? And how do i know where my monitor is plugged in? I don't know the word for it in english , but its plugged in the box with the shut down button , the one that contains everything (GPU , CPU Motherboard , etc..). A guy in a store also told me i need to get more ram but i thought he was just trying to get me to buy something. But i don't get why is my cpu used so alot and when i game for a few hours it really heats up , and the fan on the front of the computer isn't working (Well it is tehnically but when i turn it on it's LITERALY like a vacum cleaner , very noisy) so i just use the one on the back. Or could it possibly be that my hardware is outdated , but i don't think thats likely.

Chr0nos

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Everything is up to date. By the way , i tried that along time ago , and every time a update to a new driver nothing changes.

Michael31

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

okay either more ram or get rid of old drivers

These are old parts, you most have bought them used if you got them recently. They may not be able to get you the higher frame rates you are seeking. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start saving for a new build. This motherboard uses DDR3-1333 natively so I'd go with a DDR3-1333 4GB Kit (2x2GB) to get dual channel performance. You've updated the drivers for the VGA card, so there isn't a lot more you can do. You did uninstall the old VGA driver before you installed the new one right? Get a new quiet fan for the front and run it all the time you game heat is the enemy of your computer. If you can fit a 120MM fan use those they turn slower so they make less noise yet move more air then a 80mm. Get a good flow thru your case in the front and out the back.

Chr0nos

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

I just have this auto update program that tells me what drivers are up to date , i download them off of the AMD site (Depends on what in updating) and i just install.. And the parts i bought from a store in 2010 , for me thats relatevely new. Anyway thanks for the help..