Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
System:

Asus 990fx sabertooth motherboard
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 8 core 3.1 ghz cpu
16 gigs corsair ram
xfx core edition pro750watt power supply
1 gtx 660ti 2mb video card

The issue im having is with 3ds max. Once I breach 425k polys my fps drops to 1-12fps ...I realize that a workspace card and a gaming card are completely different animals. The question is ..Do I have to go to a workspace card to pass this proverbial wall Ive reached? I was under the impression (mistakenly or not) that 3ds max was cpu driven and the gpu wasn't as important. Considering both my cpu and gpu are fairly good im left confused. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

I think a work"station" card will get you what you need. The gpu is especially important in the viewport where workstation cards excel. I would stay with Nvidia and go with at the minimum Quadro 4000. Yeah, they are not cheap, but you do get what you pay for in terms of 3D application performance and support. You can find them on eBay for about 450 bucks (new they are around 750), but you won't get any support with it.

There ya go. That's a great example, but I still don't recommend the 600, cuz although its faster than a gaming card, it's not very fast. It doesn't hold much memory which will limit complexity and it cannot render very fast because it doesn't have enough CUDA cores. If you make money with your machine (or plan to), the more you spend on your video card will speed up renders greatly- like days per frame (as long as the software will render on the GPU mind you).