Sign in with
Your question

New Build, really slow downloads

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2013 8:21:29 PM

I just built my new PC with a trendnet TEW-623PI wireless card and my download speeds have dropped massively, even compared to my old pc with integrated wireless. I should be getting 54Mbps according to my ISP.

anyone got any ideas

More about : build slow downloads

February 1, 2013 8:40:30 PM

54mps sounds like your wireless connection speed between your pc, and your router. i doubt you'll be getting a solid 54mps from your ISP.

go to speedtest.net. run a test. whats your results?

then try connecting pc direct to ethernet (wired), and see what changes.

also on a side note, trendnet makes garbage, stay away from them.
a b F Wireless
February 1, 2013 8:45:15 PM

davidhoughton said:
I just built my new PC with a trendnet TEW-623PI wireless card and my download speeds have dropped massively, even compared to my old pc with integrated wireless. I should be getting 54Mbps according to my ISP.

anyone got any ideas

with the new card make sure your using the newest driver from the vendor web page for the n wireless card.
or check the card for the chipset that is used rt2000pci per wiki.
http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/TRENDnet_TEW-623PI_v3
http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php
also make sure your wifi has the newest firmware on it and it set to 54g or faster speed. also check if your mb has intel ethernet ports there is a bug with intel ethernet software package and speed in windows.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312236-30-beware-asus...
Related resources
February 1, 2013 9:18:13 PM

daswilhelm said:
54mps sounds like your wireless connection speed between your pc, and your router. i doubt you'll be getting a solid 54mps from your ISP.

go to speedtest.net. run a test. whats your results?

then try connecting pc direct to ethernet (wired), and see what changes.

also on a side note, trendnet makes garbage, stay away from them.

I did the Speedtest and it says I should be getting 28Mbps - still lower than what the ISP promises. With an ethernet connection it is also slow.
February 1, 2013 9:20:47 PM

28 mps is not slow, even if you are supposed to be getting 54, which i doubt you are. who is your provider, and what service do you have from them?
February 1, 2013 9:22:06 PM

also of note, im sure your ISP doesnt 'promise' anything. if you look at the agreement you signed with them, you should find their minimum speeds. this is usually around 150-300kps.
February 1, 2013 9:27:05 PM

I know 28Mbps is not slow but Im getting about 300Kbps on average which it has just recently dropped to, I have BT infinity which is supposedly one of the fastest in the UK and it is usually at around 28Mbps download. Should I contact them?
February 1, 2013 9:28:52 PM

wait. you said you ran a speedtest, and it showed 28mps? is this correct?

where did the figure of 300kps come from?
February 1, 2013 9:30:15 PM

300Kbps is the download speed of almost everything I download
February 1, 2013 9:30:35 PM

and yes it said 28Mbps on the test
February 1, 2013 9:32:31 PM

if it says 28mps, thats your max bandwidth. if you are only getting 300k out of that, its where its coming from.

what are you downloading?
February 1, 2013 9:37:24 PM

although when I downloaded it on my old PC the download speed was a lot higher
February 1, 2013 10:01:23 PM

can u connect direct with a wire, retest and see if theres a difference?
!