Sign in with
Your question

Time travel? Is it ever possible?

Tags:
Last response: in Work & Education
August 16, 2011 5:33:33 PM

Ok, theres this arguement me and a friend of mine had for hours. He read some book by Hawkins where he suggested that time travel is very much possible, but only on the atomic level. I dont know how on earth you can prove something is possible without it being evident, but he insists Hawkins made some scientific equations and stuff and he proved it was possible to travel in time. I think its a bucketload of bull crap because how can you prove something is POSSIBLE without it being done? Its like proving I can jump higher than M.Jordan without doing it? Hmmm. Maybe I am just naive and stupid. I know Hawkins is super smarter than me, but i really cannot understand this logic? Have you read his books or know about this topic? Would like to hear you guys thoughts about it. Personally I dont think any such thing can ever exist. Thats why i am intrigued. :) 

More about : time travel

August 16, 2011 11:33:50 PM

I dont think it is or will ever be possible. Just because someone can get a equation that says its possible doesnt mean it is. Just my 2cp
August 16, 2011 11:52:39 PM

Time travel only exists in Space Time. We do not have the technology to even compute an accurate model of space-Time. The answer is no. However, teleportation is possible: Now you're thinking with portals! Look up quantum entanglement.
Related resources
August 17, 2011 2:33:11 AM

If "time travel" is ever possible, it will only effect the observer. If there are an infinite amount of universes, you could just jump from one into another, but with a similar time line.
August 17, 2011 6:56:40 PM

Maybe, but the first thing we gotta do is break the speed of light barrier.
August 17, 2011 7:29:24 PM

I recon when they perfect Quantum computers we will be one step closer to breaking the light barrier as people believed that Quantum computers were impossible too so i would say it is possible and more na sayers there is the more likely it will drive scientist to prove it can be done just look back through history alot of people said we would not make it space not only were they proved wrong we now have a space station most great things start small so if hawkins thinks he can do it whit atoms it is only a matter of time until it is proven, maybe not in our life time though
August 26, 2011 4:46:56 AM

wrazor said:
Ok, theres this arguement me and a friend of mine had for hours. He read some book by Hawkins where he suggested that time travel is very much possible, but only on the atomic level. I dont know how on earth you can prove something is possible without it being evident, but he insists Hawkins made some scientific equations and stuff and he proved it was possible to travel in time. I think its a bucketload of bull crap because how can you prove something is POSSIBLE without it being done? Its like proving I can jump higher than M.Jordan without doing it? Hmmm. Maybe I am just naive and stupid. I know Hawkins is super smarter than me, but i really cannot understand this logic? Have you read his books or know about this topic? Would like to hear you guys thoughts about it. Personally I dont think any such thing can ever exist. Thats why i am intrigued. :) 

Traveling into the future is possible and physically proven. The faster you travel, the slower time goes for you and therefore you would be go through time slower than your surroundings...or in other wards traveling time. The closer you approach the speed of light, the slower time will pass for you. Therefore if humans make a ship that can travel at 99.....% of light...which theoretically is possible using brute force tactics...then you will be able to travel very large distances in time...and the closer you approach the speed of light, similar to mathematical asymptote, the further you travel. Technically, even when you are on a plain going a few hundred miles per hour, you are traveling time faster then a sedentary person on land. The only thing is that the time is mere fractions of seconds which is useless. However, if you can even travel at 1% of the speed of light, you would travel even faster. There is no scientific barrier from creating a vessel that is capable of traveling just below light speed (99.999999%). Although it will take probably another few thousand years before that happens.

Hitting the exact speed of light is theoretically IMpossible, because that would require an infinite amount of energy and time would literally stop.

And traveling into the past would require going faster then light.

So therefore, travel into the future is possible while travel into the past is not possible according to modern physics.
August 26, 2011 6:25:51 AM

Not unless you supply a major capacitance of energy per atom, but that would possibly split of fuse atoms.
August 26, 2011 2:36:29 PM

Oh god my head hurts from reading that stuff.
August 26, 2011 3:02:38 PM

wrazor said:
I dont know how on earth you can prove something is possible without it being evident, but he insists Hawkins made some scientific equations and stuff and he proved it was possible to travel in time. I think its a bucketload of bull crap because how can you prove something is POSSIBLE without it being done?

In 1900, color television wasn't "evident". In 1930, computers weren't "evident".

mf2780 said:
I dont think it is or will ever be possible. Just because someone can get a equation that says its possible doesnt mean it is. Just my 2cp

No, but it is a start. Einstein's 1905 Theory of Relativity led to the atomic bomb 40 years later.

DXRick said:
Maybe, but the first thing we gotta do is break the speed of light barrier.

All of this is governed by the Lorenz-Fitzgerald Transformations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_contraction
Time decreases and mass increases by the same factors. These two parts of the Transformations have been experimentally verified.

According to the L-F T's, once you exceed the speed of light (if you can), you get an inside look at the square root of -1.

While FTL travel seems to be theoretically impossible, a warp drive is possible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

The big problem is the energy budget. It would take something like all the energy the Earth produces in a year to create one. :o 
August 26, 2011 5:08:44 PM

Time travel also has to do with distance. If the universe is indeed expanding then our planet, solar system and galaxy are not in the same spot right now than where they were say 100 years ago.

In essence, one would need to travel the distance to the exact same point that the earth was 100 years ago in addition to time travel, factoring in earth's rotation/tilt/revoluiton point relative to the sun/etc...

Another theory i have is that Gravity would sustain the object that is indeed traveling in time. If that is the case, everything in my previous two statements is bullshit, LOL
!