How do I emulate Win98 in WinXP?

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Hi,
I heard it was possible to emulate win98 in WinXP order to run some non-XP compatible software. Does anyone know if this is true, how it works, or how to do it?

thanks in advance.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

Galvin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is very possible as I been doing it since last summer.
goto www.connectix.com they make software called virtual PC. It runs for $200, but you can install many OS's onto it.

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
If you having a problem running some applications in windows xp right click on the .exe for your app, click on compatability and it will give you the option to run it in a win2k, 98, etc compatable mode.

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
thanks mate,
i'm having problems installing apps though. mostly pc remote controll apps like pcanywhere and laplink.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
you don't really need pcanywhere to remote control your PC, windows has that feature built in. You can use Netmeeting remote desktops to do that...

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 10Mhz8086 on 02/05/02 11:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I don't believe pcAnywhere will work with Windows XP; at least not version 9 or earlier. I'm not sure about version 10, but most likely will have to wait for version 11 to get XP compatibility.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if you ever tried that pos remote desktop in msn then you will realise why people still want to use other 3rd party software, A friend of mine managed to get laplink working on xp (or so he says), if the remote machines are xp, then remote assistance might be the way to go.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
VMWare will do it. It's available free for trial (30 days afaik), so you can test it, then buy it if it works for you.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Its not that bad, I've never had any problems using it. I've used it to help my freinds remotely when they have a pre-XP machine. Just as long as you don't use msn messenger your good!

I really hate that whole passport thing microsoft has put out(but thats another story)

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i used the remote desktop program in msn messenger (actually it is in netmeeting), but i used it to fix stuff on my sisters computer, which is all the way in santa cruz, which saves me the trip to santa cruz, and a lot of headaches on the phone.... :wink:
and since i dont want to have to make her buy a copy of any third party software, then i think i can live with the built in one...
worked fine for me!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
ok thanks all,
tried vmware, couldnt get it to read a cd once i had 'formatted a hard drive'

Does the remote desktop in msn netmeeting work in win98 aswell?