Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will my computer play games well?

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2013 12:22:41 AM

First off let me say I know it will “Play Games” but will it run them good on high – Ultra settings? I originally built this (a few days ago) as a future proof good range business computer although some people have told me it will game better than my console (Xbox 360) is any of that true?

The specs are:

NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

AMD Phenom II X4 675 Black

MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

8 GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance

SAPPHIRE 100355OCL Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card OC Version

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Internal 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Model IHAS324

More about : computer play games

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2013 12:28:48 AM

Games are gpu dependent so check this article - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

If it can run a game on 30-40 fps, that is no lag.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2013 12:41:45 AM

Please select best answer!
m
l
February 2, 2013 12:44:51 AM

Best answer selected by TheNorthHarrier.
m
l
February 2, 2013 2:34:21 AM

TheNorthHarrier said:
First off let me say I know it will “Play Games” but will it run them good on high – Ultra settings? I originally built this (a few days ago) as a future proof good range business computer although some people have told me it will game better than my console (Xbox 360) is any of that true?

It will game much better than your console, but whether it will allow you to max out image-quality settings depends on the game and your monitor's resolution. The 7850 is a kick-ass mid-range video card.

Rest assured though that even medium settings on a PC are far better than anything your xbox can do. It might not look all that much more impressive subjectively, but if you stick with it you'll notice that the PC plays smoother (higher FPS) and that background details are more vividly rendered.

But the best thing about PC gaming, IMO, has very little to do with image quality. The best thing about PC gaming is that you can mod your games (or more likely, download and install content created by other players). The console is the more popular platform because it's simple; the PC is the more powerful platform because it offers the user almost limitless choices.
m
l
February 2, 2013 2:49:34 AM

Fulgurant said:
It will game much better than your console, but whether it will allow you to max out image-quality settings depends on the game and your monitor's resolution. The 7850 is a kick-ass mid-range video card.

Rest assured though that even medium settings on a PC are far better than anything your xbox can do. It might not look all that much more impressive subjectively, but if you stick with it you'll notice that the PC plays smoother (higher FPS) and that background details are more vividly rendered.

But the best thing about PC gaming, IMO, has very little to do with image quality. The best thing about PC gaming is that you can mod your games (or more likely, download and install content created by other players). The console is the more popular platform because it's simple; the PC is the more powerful platform because it offers the user almost limitless choices.

Will it run modern games with high setting such as, GTA 4 and 5, Crysis 2, Far Cry 3 and Call of Duty? When I mean run I mean 40+ FPS
m
l
February 2, 2013 3:03:04 AM

TheNorthHarrier said:
Will it run modern games with high setting such as, GTA 4 and 5, Crysis 2, Far Cry 3 and Call of Duty? When I mean run I mean 40+ FPS

Off the top of my head, it should, unless you want to run at a resolution higher than 1080p. I only point out that the 7850 is a mid-range card because I don't want you to raise your expectations too high; in a year or two, you probably will have to lower the settings on certain games.

You seem to like FPS games, and that genre tends to push eye candy more than any other. It's also worth noting that smooth performance is in the eye of the beholder; some people are okay with ~30 FPS (your Xbox is capped at 30 FPS, by the way, if I recall correctly). Some people insist on 120.

In any case, the take-away here is that your computer is, and will remain, far far better at gaming than your aging console. Try it out, and I'm sure you'll be happy. :) 
m
l
February 2, 2013 3:05:16 AM

Fulgurant said:
Off the top of my head, it should, unless you want to run at a resolution higher than 1080p. I only point out that the 7850 is a mid-range card because I don't want you to raise your expectations too high; in a year or two, you probably will have to lower the settings on certain games.

You seem to like FPS games, and that genre tends to push eye candy more than any other. It's also worth noting that smooth performance is in the eye of the beholder; some people are okay with ~30 FPS (your Xbox is capped at 30 FPS, by the way, if I recall correctly). Some people insist on 120.

In any case, the take-away here is that your computer is, and will remain, far far better at gaming than your aging console. Try it out, and I'm sure you'll be happy. :) 

Thank you for the response, I thought the 7850 was better than the 660ti I was not sure but I went with from the review I saw on it. it seemed very good and I got a good deal on it $170.
m
l
!