New Build-Compatibility-Stability and General

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello everyone, i'm new in the forums. I'm from the EU, specifically Greece. So, after 7 years have passed from my last build, and since i need a new rig, i decided on those parts below and i would like your help on verifying my choices.But first off:

Approximate Purchase Date: Going to order this in about 2 weeks, and i'll probably have it in a month or so.

Budget Range: 1500 euros or $1900-1950

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming / Programming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Overclocking: Maybe in the near future, as i've never OC'd before.

SLI or Crossfire: Not at the moment. I prefer one and good GPU.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Games might vary, from Assassin's Creed, to WoW, to League of Legends, to anything pretty much. When it comes to software, it's mostly programming software such as Visual Studio etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My 7 year old rig is starting to meet its' creator.

Now, i'll buy my parts from a Greek eshop so probably their links won't help you much, so i'll be linking from newegg or if i can't find it there, wherever i can from.

Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I -169€ / $230-
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K -312€ / $425-
CPU-Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme -89€ / $121-
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 -278€ / $379-
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) -141€ / $192-
GPU: PowerColor HD7950 Boost State Edition 3GB -309€ / $422-
HDD: SAMSUNG 840 Series 120GB Sata3 SSD -99€ / $135-
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 850W (without the fan control on the link) -163€ / $222-

Sum: 1560€ / $2128

Also, keep in mind that this sum is exceeding my budget abit, but that's as much as i can go. I'm not buying any monitors, mouse or keyboard, not even a DVD drive, so with my budget im trying to find the best rig i can possibly make. I'd like your advice on whether all of those parts are compatible, their stability as a system and every other advice you can offer.
Last but not least, i'm sorry for the long post and thanks for your patience.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
You need to decide if you're open to go SLI/Crossfire in the future. It'll help you get the budget down since it'll determine which motherboard you need and how much PSU wattage as well.

Drop down to an i5-3570K for a CPU. The only notable difference between the two is hyper-threading which is only ever utilized for multi-threaded tasks such as video rendering.

Motherboard is overkill and overpriced imo.
I suggest getting the ASRock z77 Extreme6 or 4, it's the best bang-for-buck motherboards in the LGA1155 section. If you really want ASUS though, get the P8Z77-V LK or PRO.

You don't need that big and powerful of a cooler if you're not gonna OC anytime soon. The Hyper 212 EVO will be great for up to 4.2-4.3GHz of OC, if ever. But if you want the Silver Arrow, go ahead. It's a good investment.

You do not need 16gb of RAM as well, I'm running 3 games sometimes and I'm barely using more than 4gb. Don't bother with the RAM frequency as well, fps difference is like 1-2. It's not even worth it.

7950 is great, but that one you chose is using a reference cooler. Your card will run fairly warmer than non-reference cards.

840 has a fair bit of issues, get the 830 or 840 Pro instead. If you're open to other brands - Vertex 4, Crucial M4, Plextor M5P or M5S.

Cooler Master PSUs are infamous for having high failure rates. Please consider other more reliable brands such as Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PC Power&Cooling(which is also OCZ), Rosewill, Seasonic, and XFX to name a few.

Also, if you'll only be running 1 GPU, 550-650w will be plenty. 850w is just overkill.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello excella1221 and thanks for the reply.
I've changed the SSD, GPU, PSU but i've kept the rest. To be honest i'm studying in university with a very broad field of classes in which i'll probably need to render videos and stuff in the near future.
The new options are

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA3
GPU: Asus GTX660-DC2T-2GD5 2GB
PSU: OCZ FATAL1TY 750W SLI-Ready

I have a concern though about the PSU. It says it's for Sandy Bridge. Since the 3770k is Ivy, will it be ok?
Also, what's your opinion on the changes i've made?

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

It's okay, that has nothing to do with anything. It's just a marketing strategy.

- M4 is good.
- Not sure why you downgraded GPU, but in itself, it's good too.
- Forget the Fatal1ty gimmick, it's not that great and you're paying a premium for it. Check out the XFX 650w.
- Your motherboard is still overkill and overpriced, unless you have a special reason to go for it, I won't suggest it.
- You're still paying too much for RAM.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello everyone and thanks for the replys.
After alil bit of research, along with your advices, i've been led to the following setup:

Case: CoolerMaster HAF-X -175€ / $238-
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K -312€ / $425-
CPU-Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme -89€ / $121-
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 -278€ / $379-
RAM: SKILL RipJaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) -52€ / $712-
GPU: ASUS HD7950 3GB -419€ / $571-
HDD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA3 -116€ / $158-
PSU: Corsair HX750W -170€ / $232-

Iceclock, it's a Greek website. The specs i've got in mind are pretty much those above. To be honest i don't really know if my GPU will be AMD or nVidia, i think it's the same pretty much (though i've got a terrible past with nVidia GPU's). When it comes to RAM, i'd say 8GB for starters and later on maybe i can fit in there another 8GB. Nope not gonna run SLI/Crossfire (at least for the moment). Also when it comes to OC i'm a complete newbie, not knowing anything, but i guess in the future OC is a one-way road.

Also excella i don't really know why i'm so hooked up with this mobo to be honest, but i just love all of its' features, the looks and everything.
Apart from that, i got my RAM's changed to something with a lower price. But what's killing me is to find a good PSU with a normal price. I gotta say, things are too overpriced here in Greece. So i decided on that PSU above, and with a final price that exceeds my budget by 170€ / $232.

To be honest, i want to make a "future-proof" PC that will last about 7-8 years. The one i've got now lasted 7 years. I know that by the time i'll buy my new PC, it'll already be outdated, but i'd like to get the best out of it until i get a new one in 7 years from now.
And if that means i've got to exceed my budget by 170€ / $232, then i guess i'll wait a little more to increase it.

Also, post your proposals of a rig if you've got time on yours hands.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Also i'd like to edit that i'm unsure about how much Wattage i need for my system.
Apart from those mentioned, i already own:
2 External HDDs
2 Internal HDDs
1 External DVD/CD RW
1 Internal DVD/CD RW
1 Internal DVD/CD Drive

Will 750W be enough for all of those?

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Oh just old habits. Technically the 2 internals are for copying faster from dvd to dvd, and the external one is a Lightscribe which i bought later on :lol:

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Alright, then. :p

Your CPU cooler won't fit above the Ripjaws. You'll need low profile RAM, so I suggest getting the G.Skill Ares series.

PSU is great, Corsair HX is pretty stable. Everything else looks good.

I noticed though, an OS isn't included in the budget? I'm assuming you already have one.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Yes, i already have Win7 x64. I'd love to buy the new Win8 x64 to try it out, but my budget is limited, plus i think i'll give it a few more months to see how Win8 turns out, since i believe Win7 is on par with WinXP if not better, when it comes to stability.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Since estella reccomended the Ares edition g.skill, i have to say that i haven't heard the best about them.
But what if i get a pair of DC G.Skill Trident-X, and if they won't fit with the SilverArrow, i can always remove the heatsinks? (After all i don't plan on OC'ing soon.)

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Really? I haven't heard anything bad about them at all, they seem pretty stable.
It's also a staple recommendation here at Tom's since tall heat spreaders are useless for 95% of people.

Corsair Vengeance LP is a good alternative though, yes.

And yes, there's no difference between 1600 and 1866MHz, it's not worth the premium.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
By the way, i believe i'll keep my rig at default settings. I wouldn't like to mess with it since i know nothing when it comes to OC. But if in the future i decide to OC my PC, along with a gtx660 SLI, will the Corsair HX750W do the job? or would i need a PSU providing more wattage?

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
You've all been more than helpful and thank you for that. You've shown me a good way to build my own rig and answered tons of my questions.
I really like the community in here and i'll probably try being a part of it, helping others in any way that i can.
Thanks again everyone :hello:

TRENDING THREADS