CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I purchased and put this build together a few days ago and it ran perfectly, besides the non-ssd hard drive (was DoA). The only problem was I forgot to install the non-stock cpu cooler. I did that earlier today and afterwards the gpu will not be recognized.

I have checked my power connections, reseated the gpu in the pci-e slot, and even taken the cooler off and put back the stock cooler. Nothing has worked. I know the card is good because I have been playing Farcry 3 for two days now with no issue.

I have set the primary video to pci in bios as well as disabled on board video yet my monitor receives no signal. When using the on board video the device manager doesnt pick up the gpu at all.

I am completely lost as to what the issue here is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
February 2, 2013 3:23:22 AM

did you pull the cpu out of the cpu slot when you did the heat sink change?? if you did you might have bent a pin on the mb.
if not it could be that the thermal paste acted like glue and the cpu is not sitting down on the mb pins or some of the paste oosed out and is covering one or two of the mb cpu pins. the other simple issues also could be you forgot one of the power plugs on the video card..may not be seated...or the 4/8 pin pci power plug not locked in or the mb atx power plug not seated.
i would also take the video card out and reseat it may be a seating issue.
m
l
February 2, 2013 3:28:32 AM

Would I even be able to boot up if the paste oozed into the pins or if the cpu was raised? I didn't take the cpu out of its slot when I changed heat sinks, but I can certainly reseat the cpu just to be sure.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 3:31:28 AM

i would start with the simple stuff. power off the pc and reset the video card and power plugs. check that the gpu fan is moving and the back of the heat sink and the heat sink itself not shorting anything out. also make sure if the heat sink has set screws not clips that your not crushing the cpu or flexing the mb.
m
l
February 2, 2013 3:41:22 AM

I have checked and rechecked all power connections and everything is snug. I took off the bulkier heatsink that had the screw on mechanism and replaced the stock intel fan with the simple push-in mechanism. The fans on the gpu are spinning. I am using the machine in question to write this post (using the motherboard video), so everything seems fine except the gpu isn't being recognized anywhere. I'm at a loss
m
l
February 2, 2013 4:30:42 AM

While messing with everything I saw that the 3 fans in the case were not powered, so I plugged them in. While the fans are connected to the psu the computer will not boot. The LED on the front will flash, the fans spin for one second then everything stops. Is this a power issue? I don't see how it can be since I have been running the exact components for the last few days with no issues. Everything new I try seems to lead to more questions.
m
l
February 2, 2013 4:40:10 AM

sounds like it a power issue with that power supply they sent you a doa unit or one of the fans is pulling more power then it should be. if you have another power supply plug the video card into it and then using a paper clip jumper the green wire to a black gound wire. (google power supply green wire trick). if the other ps has a dead rail then you may be able to power up the video card.
http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-po...
m
l
February 2, 2013 4:48:13 AM

I don't understand how the fault can be that of the power supply since it is ran everything perfectly the last few days and at this moment is powering everything to allow me to use the computer. I just cant get the gpu to be recognized. The fans in the gpu are spinning fine. *sigh*
m
l
February 3, 2013 4:13:04 AM

Tried a few other things today.

I took my old radeon 5700 series gpu out of my old system and popped it in the new one. It was not recognized either. Does this mean the pci-e slot is to blame? Could i have damaged that part of the motherboard while swapping heat sinks? I guess the last thing to do is put the new gpu in the old system and see if it picks up.
m
l
!