Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 10, 2012 6:41:30 AM

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 (64 bit) Machine with:
4 Gigs of DDR3 RAM (2x2Gb)
GeForce GTX 260
Intel (R) Core 2 Quad CPU [Q6700 @ 2.66GHz]

I'm at my wits end, I have no idea what to do at this point. For a long time, my computer has plagued me with a STOP error/BSOD on startup. After restarting 1-4 times, it would boot 'correctly' allowing me to do whatever until t was rebooted again. This continued on for 2 years and it was only a minor annoyance.

Recently however, my computer will boot up, make it to the desktop, and then crash, before all startup procedures have been completed. The only way I can even get the computer to run for longer than 10 minutes is to boot in Safe Mode. I've tried several solutions, from Updating all drivers, 'juggling' RAM to see if any individual one caused failure.

So far, nothing is working. At first I was sure it had to be the RAM, but without any memory Diagnostics tools I can't be sure. I've used C-Cleaner to remove all programs from the Startup menu but this problem persists. I'd just buy new RAM and be done with it, but I can start in Safe Mode, and I didn't beleive it would be possible to run at all if my computer had faulty memory.

Maybe its the vRAM? Is there some way I could test without another graphics card?
March 10, 2012 6:44:39 AM

Sorry for the messiness of this post. I got to the 'Create message to the Community' page via Google, so I was unaware I was making a forum post. If someone could please direct me to the rules about posting/what files need to be included It would be much appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2012 7:46:09 AM

Upon digging into the .dmp files with BlueScreenViewer, I found that every single one of the past 10 crashes have been caused by ntoskrnl.exe. This is a crucial system file and the fact that it's causing blue screens seems to suggest its corrupted. Possible causes are bad memory, corrupt files, and bad HD. Hopefully its the second and not any of the others.

Currently running Windows memcheck. I'm pretty sure it's a waste of time, but I'm running out of options.

@zhihao, I will attempt a clean install when I can.

I have no real tools at the moment, and it could take me some days to get them. As far as it goes, I have no alterante RAM to swap, no spare graphics card, no spare hardrive. I can get a Windows 7 Disc, but it will take me a day or 2.
m
l
March 10, 2012 8:50:49 AM

After attempting to use Driver Verify, my computer has completely bricked. On start up, it displays:

Quote:
Verify DMI Pool Data................
Boot from CD :

NVIDIA Boot Agent 253.0543
Copyright (C) 2001-2008 NVIDIA Corporattion
Copyright (C) 1997-2008 NVIDIA Corporattion
PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F : Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.
x4
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSET SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

So it seems full install is my last option. Anyone know where I can get an ISO? I still have my key but I left my disk at my last house.
m
l
!