Sign in with
Your question

Best hardware upgrade for FPS while streaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2012 1:28:28 AM

I'm looking into some hardware upgrades to gain more FPS while streaming PC games. I believe my graphics card is holding me back at the moment. I can play Far Cry 3 at medium settings and average 70-80 FPS. While streaming I'm averaging 40-50 while running the game on low settings. I'm using xsplit to stream.

I'm looking at buying this graphics card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Should I look into some other upgrades or would my money be well spent here?

Current Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.0 ghz
RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Graphics Card: 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
PSU: Seasonic 620w Bronze
1TB HDD
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:07:33 AM

Seems the bottleneck is your internet speed rather than gpu.
m
l
December 18, 2012 2:32:51 AM

Goodeggray said:
Seems the bottleneck is your internet speed rather than gpu.

For in-game FPS? I'm currently at 15 down 2 up. I'm upgrading to 50/25 soon but I don't see how that would affect my FPS while playing.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:44:51 AM

Your CPU is the bottleneck with software like this. The streaming software needs to encode the video on the fly, which is very demanding of your processor. You want more cores and higher clock speeds. An FX-8350 might be just the right tool for this, though I don't know the workload well enough and it may be one of the many cases where AMD's "8 core" chips behave like quads.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:53:34 AM

If you have a really really fast connection, Usually stream services will allow their servers to do the CPU encoding for you (Not all of it, but alot more than an average connection will). If you an average connection then alot more load is going to go onto your CPU. More Load equals bottleneck with in turn is Lower FPS in stream. Most places recommend a Internet upload of at least 1.5-2.1 MBs. If you hve more than that, you can usually change somewhere in the settings for the servers to do more of the encoding for you.

Mind you I havnt used Xsplit in awhile but I know they have this feature.

Edit-

I know you asked for a hardware upgrade but you have a good rig. Personally I would have my upload increased by my ISP. If your going to change anything then CPU would be first with encoding. Not going to say GPU wouldnt help. But in terms of streaming, CPU is being used ALOT more.
Just sayin :D 

Ive watched quite a few people on twitch. As well as some Xsplit tutorials on youtube when I first started using it. Some of the more known users had Upload speeds of 3.5-4.1 . I personally dont know if this is overkill.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:46:32 AM

simmons33 said:
If you have a really really fast connection, Usually stream services will allow their servers to do the CPU encoding for you (Not all of it, but alot more than an average connection will).

I find this surprising and difficult to believe. CPU time and bandwidth are the two greatest expenses for a server, and this would use enormous amounts of both.

Quote:
If you an average connection then alot more load is going to go onto your CPU. More Load equals bottleneck with in turn is Lower FPS in stream. Most places recommend a Internet upload of at least 1.5-2.1 MBs.

Mb/s, not MB. Little 'b' means bit, big 'B' means byte. 2-5 megabits seems to be pretty average for the US, higher in other countries. A raw, uncompressed 1080p stream is hundreds of megabits per second. Offloading as much work as is feasible to the server wouldn't have much of an impact on your performance, because so much still has to be done to overcome your connection's limitations. It may help, but I really doubt it would be a dramatic improvement.

Quote:
Not going to say GPU wouldnt help.

I will. A GPU upgrade won't help, because it's not doing the encoding.

Quote:
But in terms of streaming, CPU is being used ALOT more.

It is doing infinity percent more, because the GPU isn't involved.

Quote:
Some of the more known users had Upload speeds of 3.5-4.1 . I personally dont know if this is overkill.

I really doubt this is people upgrading their upstream bandwidth, instead it's just people who pay for the high download speeds and get the correspondingly higher upstream speeds with it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:51:34 AM

Im just forwarding information Ive read on other sites. If your so offended that you feel a need to dissect every word I say them by all means do so. Were here to help individuals with their problems. Not force our knowledge on other users and degrade them just because they Capped the wrong letter. Ive used Xplit and am sharing my personal experiences and what helped me get better quality streams.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 1:52:39 PM

simmons33 said:
Im just forwarding information Ive read on other sites. If your so offended that you feel a need to dissect every word I say them by all means do so. Were here to help individuals with their problems. Not force our knowledge on other users and degrade them just because they Capped the wrong letter.

So correcting somebody is "forcing my knowledge" on you and "degrading"? You've got some serious issues if you can't handle being corrected.

Quote:
Ive used Xplit and am sharing my personal experiences and what helped me get better quality streams.

I'm just trying to prevent the spread of misinformation. Spending money on a faster connection isn't going to reduce the load on his CPU. Also, I looked into it, and Xsplit doesn't have any sort of offloading to server feature, just like I suspected. It would be too expensive and not provide any real benefit.

Look, I'm sorry you got all pissy because I corrected your bad advice, I really am. But like you said, we're here to help people. My top priority is making sure the OP gets the best help possible. Preserving the fragile ego of people giving bad advice, not so much.
m
l
!