Sign in with
Your question

I just bought this gear with 900$, I donno if its worthy

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2013 6:10:23 AM

I didn't know so much about CPUs or MB I just know of one of the high end GPUs and 8gig Ram
here's what they gave me

MB M5A97Evo pro Asus PCIe 2.0
VGA 7970 3G Sapphire PCIe 3.0
RAM GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
CPU AMD FX-8150
CASE SH499 Delux
POWER 750w Green overclock edition Gold
Mouse G300 Logitech

I went there and said, I've 900$ and I want 7970 plus 8G Ram and the rest except Hard drive and keyboard is on you, And all I do is playing video games with it

and they gave me this, and I came home showing this to my friends and neighbors,
they say its a garbage except GPU
is it true?
just for gaming,
can it handle the most recent Games at full I mean everything ultra high etc
February 2, 2013 6:17:27 AM

Unfortunately, they're right.

CPU is previous generation AMD Bulldozer, the current one is Piledriver e.g AMD FX-8350 its more powerful and efficient.
Power supply and chassis is a no namer.
RAM should be fine.

It should be able to play games but you can doubt they're reliability esp. the power supply.

m
l
February 2, 2013 6:32:53 AM

we can do some parts list if we know if your in the us or where you have to buy your parts. a lot of us can make you a good build for 900 us dollars.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 7:20:26 AM

smorizio said:
we can do some parts list if we know if your in the us or where you have to buy your parts. a lot of us can make you a good build for 900 us dollars.

excuse me, have u noticed the past tense of my verbs?
its gone, the money is gone and I used the rig, just tend the question, was that money worth the rig or not? seems not to me

whatever, can u give me the spex of this good build with 900$ that u're talking about
thanks
m
l
February 2, 2013 7:46:11 AM

geil ram isn't too bad from what i've heard, and the 7970 is a good start, but the rest will last you a few months to a year, and you may see some overheating or have odd issues arise. and the 8150 is not all that bad, it's certainly no champ but for your purposes it should do ok. what games and what res? overclocking cpu/gpu?
m
l
February 2, 2013 7:53:46 AM

misfitkid86 said:
geil ram isn't too bad from what i've heard, and the 7970 is a good start, but the rest will last you a few months to a year, and you may see some overheating or have odd issues arise. and the 8150 is not all that bad, it's certainly no champ but for your purposes it should do ok. what games and what res? overclocking cpu/gpu?

thanks for ur reply but the overheating problem and that the few month to a year longevity u mentioned really bothers me
are u really sure about that,
if thats true then i may start thinking about selling them,

res 1400/900 and the most recent games u know better, and overclocking I really have no idea what this will do, i just heard about its harmsm, the risk that should be taken etc
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:02:45 AM

Why not return them, like I think some of the earlier guys were suggesting?
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:16:48 AM

eyeage said:
Why not return them, like I think some of the earlier guys were suggesting?

I would do that with my heart if I could but I used screwdriver for mounting them and their only terms for returning is the piece not working and no being on used of screwdriver
seems not only screwed on system but the market too

so lets just take it I could replace
what piece could or should be replaced, considering the price too, should be the same lever or have the balance between pieces
m
l
Anonymous
February 2, 2013 8:57:48 AM

when you say
Quote:
I went there

tells me you were at a retail store and you paid anywhere from 15% to 20% more than what you would have for buying online not including sales tax.

lets do a little deduction here:
a sapphire 7970 is about $400, a FX-8150 is $160, the RAM is $47 and $33 for the mouse:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G300 Wired Optical Mouse ($32.86 @ Amazon)
Base Total: $639.83
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Total: $619.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 05:28 EST-0500)

both the case and power supply are relatively unknown and i didn't see a motherboard so i will take some guessing and figure a microATX case runs around $40 (i googled the case and at least found out what size it is) and motherboard that size ~$80. a no name 750 watt PSU i've seen for ~$60 bringing the "unknown variables" to an additional ~$120 making the total to about $740; about 82% of $900.

so not knowing the sales tax of your area we are looking at 15% above online costs, what i would expect from a brick and mortar store.

though the prices themselves are not horrible i think the mistake was walking into the store and stating your top price with the requirement of a big money item such as the 7970. the salesperson may have done a decent job fulfilling your request but with some cut corners. what is glaring to me is spending $35 for a gaming mouse that would have been better spent on a reliable name brand power supply.

chalk it up to a lesson learned. you can game with that, there are better cpus such as a 8350 (the newer FX series from AMD) or an i5 with an intel motherboard. but the salesperson did, to the best of their ability, fulfill your requirements.

Quote:
what piece could or should be replaced, considering the price too, should be the same lever or have the balance between pieces

return the mouse and PSU to get a better 650 watt PSU such as an antec, seasonic, XFX or corsair name brand . . . and a $10 mouse.
m
l
February 2, 2013 9:24:32 AM

If you can't return it the 8150 will do alright for now. At least until the next generation AMDs, steamroller comes out, which will hopefully see good progress, and which your board should support.

Certainly wasn't the best decision, but its not a total disaster if you absolutely can't return it. I never get why people ask AFTER they buy....
m
l
February 2, 2013 9:32:30 AM

Anonymous said:
when you say
Quote:
I went there

tells me you were at a retail store and you paid anywhere from 15% to 20% more than what you would have for buying online not including sales tax.

lets do a little deduction here:
a sapphire 7970 is about $400, a FX-8150 is $160, the RAM is $47 and $33 for the mouse:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G300 Wired Optical Mouse ($32.86 @ Amazon)
Base Total: $639.83
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Total: $619.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 05:28 EST-0500)

both the case and power supply are relatively unknown and i didn't see a motherboard so i will take some guessing and figure a microATX case runs around $40 (i googled the case and at least found out what size it is) and motherboard that size ~$80. a no name 750 watt PSU i've seen for ~$60 bringing the "unknown variables" to an additional ~$120 making the total to about $740; about 82% of $900.

so not knowing the sales tax of your area we are looking at 15% above online costs, what i would expect from a brick and mortar store.

though the prices themselves are not horrible i think the mistake was walking into the store and stating your top price with the requirement of a big money item such as the 7970. the salesperson may have done a decent job fulfilling your request but with some cut corners. what is glaring to me is spending $35 for a gaming mouse that would have been better spent on a reliable name brand power supply.

chalk it up to a lesson learned. you can game with that, there are better cpus such as a 8350 (the newer FX series from AMD) or an i5 with an intel motherboard. but the salesperson did, to the best of their ability, fulfill your requirements.

Quote:

return the mouse and PSU to get a better 650 watt PSU such as an antec, seasonic, XFX or corsair name brand . . . and a $10 mouse.

thanks "looniam" for this perfect answer
Im sorry I forgot, the MB is M5A97Evo pro Asus and while knowing my PCIe 3.0 should go on a 2.0 slot, anyway

C'mon its just a PSU and it says 750w, does it really matter what brand it is, it has 5yrs guarantee, thats enough i think :D 

and I checked the difference between 8350 and 8150, nothing to mention really, but I think coz my GPU is AMD the salesperson thought that this AMD CPU may be better, dont you think so? is it relevant at all?

m
l
Anonymous
February 2, 2013 9:47:58 AM

william_90 said:
thanks "looniam" for this perfect answer
Im sorry I forgot, the MB is M5A97Evo pro Asus and while knowing my PCIe 3.0 should go on a 2.0 slot, anyway

C'mon its just a PSU and it says 750w, does it really matter what brand it is, it has 5yrs guarantee, thats enough i think :D 

and I checked the difference between 8350 and 8150, nothing to mention really, but I think coz my GPU is AMD the salesperson thought that this AMD CPU may be better, dont you think so? is it relevant at all?

nice motherboard! all is not lost . . :lol: 

honestly there are differences in PSUs. "unknown" or less reputable manufactures have falsely labeled the wattage on their models. it may have a 5 year warranty but considering most people avoid dealing again with the same manufacturer if the PSU fails, they won't have to replace them so no loss.

also ripple and noise, dirty power, can harm your components. cheaper PSUs have a high instance of this and you could lose your graphics card or other components without realizing your PSU is at fault. it really does matter. i do highly suggest looking around for a corsair, XFX seasonic or antec . . the reliability of those brands are extremely good. everything depends on the PSU for power; don't skimp there.

and any graphics card, AMD or nVidia, doesn't perform any different with either an AMD or intel cpu . . but it is a bit of a popular myth it does.

glad to help.
m
l
!