Sign in with
Your question

His 7950 iceq x2 boost vs sapphire 7950 boost

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:41:23 AM

Hi,

As the title says, I'm choosing between his 7950 iceq x2 boost and sapphire 7950 boost. In our country, price of both cards are almost the same and warranty will be different for our country, I think it is shop warranty. a year or two depends on the product unlike in other countries. So basically, I'm taking into consideration the board quality, cooling, lifespan etc.

I can't find much of reviews yet of the his 7950 iceq x2 boost, I think it has just been released? Specifically in newegg, it doesn't have rating yet. But in techpowerup it had 92/100.

While the sapphire 7950 boost got 4 of 5 eggs from newegg. but I can't find its review at techpowerup.

From the reviews I read, I noticed that HIS has great cooling, specially with their iceq But I'm not sure yet with iceq x2. I like cooler cards because they said, cooler cards = longer lifespan. Regarding Sapphire, I've read they have quality cards that will last for years. I liked that but I'm not sure if it is true. And also if HIS has reputation on lifespan too.

I don't plan to OC so I'll just use them at stock that's why I wanted the boost version. Would not crossfire too.

Can anyone help me decide which of the two will I get?
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:50:46 AM

The biggest difference is going to be the cooler. The IceQ will keep the card considerably cooler, but the IceQ coolers are apparently a bit noisy (you could mitigate this with a custom fan profile). Any factory overclocks can be trivially achieved by the user, so they aren't worth considering.

Essentially, it's do you want the slightly better but slightly louder cooler or not?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:10:16 AM

willard said:
The biggest difference is going to be the cooler. The IceQ will keep the card considerably cooler, but the IceQ coolers are apparently a bit noisy (you could mitigate this with a custom fan profile). Any factory overclocks can be trivially achieved by the user, so they aren't worth considering.

Essentially, it's do you want the slightly better but slightly louder cooler or not?

I would go with the better cooler. If noise is not much of a difference off the two I think it is okay, but if it is really that noisy, I think I would take that into consideration. Regarding factory overclock and user overclock. I didn't want to overclock myself because it is said that it would void the warranty from where I will buy. So maybe I would only oc after the warranty has lapsed. And that would be a long time still. That's why I would get the factory overclock first or in this case, boost version. My concern now is the lifespan of the card, for it to last for years since performance will be almost the same from both cards because I wont oc them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 5:22:21 AM

but hey, the cooler if this HIS card is iceq x2. I think it is different. Any thoughts on it?
m
l
!