Having somewhere other than the default for documents folders..

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello there everyone,

Let me give you a quick scenario. I've got an 80GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I install Windows on the SSD for a fast boot with a view to having everything else on the HDD. I understand that all the default "my documents", "my music", "my videos" folders will be on the SSD. Is there anyway to change that default so it references folders on the HDD?

Also, is there a way so that, when installing software, the default location it will suggest to install to will be the HDD and not the SSD?

Just tell me if i'm being vague and i'll do my best to clarify, thanks.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Hi there, navigate to the user folder and right click on the folders u wish to move, go to properties then location tab. you should be able to move most of the folders except a few system folders such as the appdata folder.

you can also change the locations through the registry, this allows you to move every folder in the user folder.
here's a link if u want to have a look:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/91aa8b26-2b09-4e56-955c-679b297832e1
i would advise not using this way unless its a clean install of windows.

im not sure if you are able to change the default location for installing programs, if some one knows if this is possible/how to do this i would love to know also.

if its space on the ssd you are worried about and you dont use hibernation you can free up a few gig of space by disabling it:
load up CMD (search for it in the start menu) and type 'powercfg -h off' (with out the quotation marks) it wont give a confirmation that its disabled but you should notice a few gig freed up on C drive if it works.