DLHensley95

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hi! I have an old-ish Dell computer that I'd like to use for gaming. As is, it's unable to run games like Oblivion on max. I'd like for it to be able to tackle even the newest games, and since it's Christmas I was thinking I could convince my mom to get me a new graphics card. I don't know what information I need, so I'll just put down what I found through the "dxdiag" command.

System Model: Dell XPS430
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A00
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 2493 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.73 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.1 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.87 GB
Page File Space 6.23 GB
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

And my current graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3650.

If I were to take a card like this-

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+7850/review

-and put it in my computer, would that be sufficient enough to play higher end games like Skyrim or TERA?

Edit: I think I was supposed to put my power supply, but I'm not sure how to find it. I checked the sticker on one of the boxes in my tower, and it's all in Chinese so I can't make it out properly. But it does say DC OUTPUT: 375W.

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
TERA and skyrim are not as high end as u think.
and for skyrim more cpu power is needed.
your cpu is fine, and still decent enough for gaming.
and with a card like hd 7850, it will easy to play on ultra too!
AND do u know wat kind of PSU u have?
bcoz that might be a problem

DLHensley95

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I edited my original post, and I'm pretty sure my PSU is 375W. But I'm not certain. If so, it says this card needs 500+...... Darn.
Would it be better to get a less demanding card or get a new power supply+new card? Can you change a power supply? Or would I just need a new computer?

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

well 500+ is not necessary if u have a good quality PSU.
but U dont
and yes u can change just your PSU
and getting a less demanding card is not a good option either.
bcoz your PSU is low quality and might ruin it!
and neither would u be able to play it on ultra.!!

DLHensley95

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hahaha, okay, thank you. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I just read this "500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended. 600W power supply (or greater) with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire technology." And I don't know what that means... I just saw 600W.
Thank you so much!

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
As above, a decent 450w will be fine. Only go bigger e.g. 650w if you plan to build a new pc in a year or so then move the PSU over to the new build.

Also make sure you have enough space inside your case to fit the 7850. I've seen some OEM machines before with no option to upgrade a GPU due to case or something being in the way.

DLHensley95

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I'm almost certain the PSU would fit, because my current one seems to have bigger dimensions, but I'm not sure about the graphics card. The one I have in there now is about 5x3 inches, and the 7850 one is 7.8x4.4 inches.... It looks like their might be just enough space to squeeze it in, but I'm not certain...

DLHensley95

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I also just found this. There's no way I'd be able to get this now, but it could be worth saving up for.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227440
Same graphics card with Windows 8 and yadda yadda. In your personal opinion(s), do you think that'd be smarter? Because this Dell I'm on now is the only computer in our house and is borderline barely functioning..... $250 to upgrade a home computer from 08', or $1000 for a new one?... Hmm. Thoughts?? Curse my indecisive ways.

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
if u make something better than this your self
even then u will save money.
so if u can just assemble parts by yourself, or get someone else to do it for u.
i can give u a configuration better than this for gaming.
and around 300$ cheaper too!!
and what do u mean by "borderline barely functioning"?

G

You could probably build that for at least 40% cheaper. Just start learning about how to build one. It took me maybe a week to understand how to build, start and overclock a custom built PC. If the computer you're using now is barely functioning, I would suggest this.

DLHensley95

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Oh god... My entire reply just got deleted..... Bullet points- Always had start up issues and runs slow most of the time despite maintenance. Overall meh computer. Also, I'm leaving in 6 months for college and it'd be nice to leave this for my brother and have my own.
I've never thought about building my own computer. I'm not completely sure I'd be capable... haha.

DLHensley95

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I defrag and clear disk space every time my computer is on... I don't know what's wrong with it. Virus protected too. Bleh.
I will watch that video tomorrow :) Thanks all for your help. I now know of many more options than I did before! Goodnight!