Sign in with
Your question

Building New gaming pc $1400-1600

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2013 3:01:28 PM

Hi all and thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.

After considerable research I am planning to order a new rig in the next couple of days with these components:

I already have a Seasonic X-series 760W PSU

and I plan to order: (all prices AUD from umart.com.au)

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k - LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge (I will likely overclock to 4Ghz) - $232

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H MB - Intel Z77 Chipset, Socket 1155, 4x DDR3, SATA3, USB3.0, GbELAN, 7.1 CH - $167

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $85

GPU: Sapphire ATI HD 7950 VaporX-OC w BOOST PCI-E 3.0 3GB GDDR5 - $345

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB 1600 Mhz low profile - $99

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X 942 Black No PSU - $189

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache - $94

Need an O/S so Windows 7 64 bit. - $99

Lite-On SATA DVD-RW 24X - $19

Total: $1329

I already have the Monitor, mouse, keyboard and headset.

I live in a poorly-insulated unit in a hot climate so ambient temps will likely be in the high-30s celsius until i pick up an air conditioner of some variety. I expect that the HAF-X and the Noctua will be more than sufficient once I lower the ambient temp to around 25 degrees celsius?

Are the on-board network and audio features of the mobo good enough to be considered at least average?

Are there any conflicts, omissions or compatibility issues I may have over-looked here?

Otherwise, just generally speaking, how does the build look to people?

Remember, the main purpose is long hours of graphics intensive gaming :) 

Thanks again for taking the time to look over this for me.
February 2, 2013 6:56:36 PM

Nope build is perfect no flaws at all. Maybe switch the mobo for an extreme4 from asrock.
February 2, 2013 7:02:41 PM

And also if you are spending this much cash you are going to want an ssd, I would recommend a crucial m4, whatever size you want .
Related resources
February 3, 2013 3:25:38 AM

country of origin max budget? and part preferrence?

February 3, 2013 4:44:21 AM

im in Brisbane Australia, it is fairly uncontroversially accepted amongst the IT-savvy people i have met in Brisbane over the years that the best place to buy parts here is Umart.
https://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

I have updated the original post to include prices.

I dont exactly have a part preference, not AMD or Intel, AMD or Nvidia etc. The build i have listed i chose based upon reviews, for instance I started with the intention of buying AMD since thats what im used to, but it seems the FX-8350, while competitively priced is not as good for gaming, hence the I5 3570k.

The graphics card is another compromise, it seems like it will run nearly as well as a non Ghz (that ones too pricey) 7970 yet do it cooler and for $70 or so less money. So yeah, im not really set on any components, im basically just looking for the best gaming rig for frequent and prolonged use that i can get for 1400-1600. It also needs to run cool.

I intend to play the games at high settings with a decent FPS and be able to do so for the next gen of games hopefully, maybe with another of those 7950 boosts in SLI once the price drops in 6 months or so.

I already have the PSU (Seasonic X-series 760W) keyboard, mouse, headset and monitor.

I would particularly appreciate any thoughts on the onboard sound/Lan between the Gigabyte UD3H and and Asrock Extreme 4.

I am undecided between Cooler Master Haf-X and Cooler Master Storm Stryker for the case.

Thanks folks :) 
February 3, 2013 2:36:35 PM

max budget in aud?
February 4, 2013 1:29:06 AM

Yes, thats AUD. Call it $1600.

Im thinking this SSD: Kingston 240Gb Hyper-X SSD Sata 3 @$189
February 4, 2013 3:14:52 AM

looks good. sadly i cant recommand anything else. u beat me to it :)  that ssd is quite good as well.

!