Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will this work?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 2, 2013 3:03:02 PM

I am thinking of putting together a budget PC using:
AMD 965 BE
XFX 7850 2GB
MOBO - Gigabyte GA 970A-DS3
8GB GSkill RAM
and XFX 450W power supply, now I was thinking of overclocking and upgrading sometime in the future and when I would, I would probably get a better CPU cooler and get another XFX 7850 to crossfire but is this MOBO up for it and can the power supply handle it?

What would you recommend I substitute for this to be possible in the future? also would it be worth it, I can't just buy better components now as I'm a student and pretty broke so I'll have to continue to save up for these changes in a few years.

More about : work

a c 90 ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 3:22:31 PM

450 watts is too low. You should consider something in the order of 600 to 750 watts depending on sale prices and promos. Good brands are Corsair, Seasonic, Antec that come to mind.
February 2, 2013 3:24:49 PM

Ubrales said:
450 watts is too low. You should consider something in the order of 600 to 750 watts depending on sale prices and promos. Good brands are Corsair, Seasonic, Antec that come to mind.

Wrong.
XFX is a fine brand.
450 watts is enough.
Related resources
February 2, 2013 3:28:22 PM

Kiowa789 said:
Wrong.
XFX is a fine brand.
450 watts is enough.

Yeah but will it be enough if I was to overclock and does that mobo support Crossfire, I read up on it and it has 1 PCI-E running at x16 and 1 PCI-E running at x4, what does that mean? there are others which have like 4 PCI-E x16 but those are like £90, way out of my budget.
a c 90 ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 3:30:50 PM

The OP mentioned overclocking; and for overclocking 450 watts is too low.

Yes I would add XFX to my list of good brands of PSUs.
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 3:44:33 PM

for SLI get a 650W PSU. for single card 450W is enough...
February 4, 2013 12:54:55 PM

Saad93 said:
Yeah but will it be enough if I was to overclock and does that mobo support Crossfire, I read up on it and it has 1 PCI-E running at x16 and 1 PCI-E running at x4, what does that mean? there are others which have like 4 PCI-E x16 but those are like £90, way out of my budget.

x16 is the bandwidth, so you'd want to hook up your card to the x16 slot, crossfire would be terrible due to one slot having x4 bandwidth, you'd be bottlenecking the second card.
I'd go with a different board.

Sorry, I didn't see the overclocking bit, otherwise a 500-550w would be good, also a different choice of motherboard would be a good idea, and a not so power consuming processor, if you have any more questions, ask away :) 
!