How to Reset a Graphics Card to Original Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehuckster

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hi, all,

Yesterday, NVidia came out with driver 310.70 which was compatible with my GTX 285. I downloaded the driver and attempted to install it, and during installation it failed with an error. I didn't have the common sense to record what the error was, but I decided to just restart the computer and try again.

After restarting the computer, there is no display even during the bios startup. The monitor simply doesn't get a signal from my computer, however I can tell from the sound and everything that Windows itself is booting up just fine.

I figure the driver installation failure occurred at some critical time when the old driver was being replaced by the new driver? Is there a way I can create some kind of boot disk or something that might reset the graphics card to the manufacturer defaults and try again?

I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks

okay when booting press F8 and select safe mode with networking. that will load your windows in safe mode with limited drivers meaning the resolution will be small but you can use your computer for the time being. once you get into windows with safe mode go to control panel and uninstall the drivers

thehuckster

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

I would have already done that, however my display is blank even during bios startup. I can press F8 and assume that menu appears, but even if I manage to hit the right keys to get into safe mode, I'm kind of lost without any kind of display at all.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

If for whatever reason, that also fails and you can't seem to get any video at all, most motherboards have a VGA plugin where you could temporarily use it to do your reinstalls and voila.

thehuckster

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks. It looked like that's what got my display back. Of course like an idiot I never wrote down the custom BIOS settings I had previously entered. I remember there were a few related to clock speeds I needed to set in order to fix some stuttering issues and the like, but I guess I'll figure that out with some research.

For the record, I had considered using the mobo VGA port, but sadly it didn't have any display output.

Status
Not open for further replies.