RW DVD Works but not for game CD's

I can load all installation discs and play music CD's but not any game CDs.
I tried repairing as described in the forums but that doesn't seem to work.
If I put a game disc in I get an houglass then a (not responding) messages.
On one game it will act like it's going to load but I also get a report
"cannot load dl library".
2 answers Last reply
More about works game

    "Vitodorio" <Vitodorio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can load all installation discs and play music CD's but not any game CDs.
    > I tried repairing as described in the forums but that doesn't seem to
    > work.
    > If I put a game disc in I get an houglass then a (not responding)
    > messages.
    > On one game it will act like it's going to load but I also get a report
    > "cannot load dl library".

    Do you have any 3rd party virtual drive tools installed? Like Nero, Virtual
    Daemon, Alcohol 120 etc? A lot of newer copy protection schemes won't load
    the game with these installed.

    If you're using a limited user you could also try this patch, which may
    resolve it;
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=eae20f0f-c41c-44fe-84ce-1df707d7a2e9&displaylang=en

    Failing that, it could be down to drive incompatibility, in which case it
    would be a matter of buying a new CD/DVD drive.

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    No third party virtual drives. I downloaded the patch you suggested and now
    it works at first but them I get this message:
    The application or DLL D:\CD1\System\window is not a valid image.
    Please check this against your installation diskette.

    Vito Capone Salinas,CA

    "Paul Smith" wrote:

    > "Vitodorio" <Vitodorio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I can load all installation discs and play music CD's but not any game CDs.
    > > I tried repairing as described in the forums but that doesn't seem to
    > > work.
    > > If I put a game disc in I get an houglass then a (not responding)
    > > messages.
    > > On one game it will act like it's going to load but I also get a report
    > > "cannot load dl library".
    >
    > Do you have any 3rd party virtual drive tools installed? Like Nero, Virtual
    > Daemon, Alcohol 120 etc? A lot of newer copy protection schemes won't load
    > the game with these installed.
    >
    > If you're using a limited user you could also try this patch, which may
    > resolve it;
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=eae20f0f-c41c-44fe-84ce-1df707d7a2e9&displaylang=en
    >
    > Failing that, it could be down to drive incompatibility, in which case it
    > would be a matter of buying a new CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Smith,
    > Yeovil, UK.
    > http://www.dasmirnov.net/
    > http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
    >
    > *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*

DVD Games CD-Rom Windows XP